An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics and Republicans

Socrates

In national elections, should Catholics:  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 27 2005, 04:48 PM']It would take a major realignment of the American people to put a third party candidate in office.
[right][snapback]801776[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You mean like when Lincoln was elected?

Republicans tend to forget that they were once a third party

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:42 PM']There should be an option for voting for whatever candidate is closest to church teaching.
[right][snapback]802106[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, hopefully all good Catholics should try to vote this way.
I probably should've clarified, but I was thinking along the lines of presuming the candidates are more-or-less like those in the past several elections, and basically followed the current party platforms. (Reagan, Bush, Bush vs. Clinton, Gore, Kerry, etc.)

I voted Republican, but might vote third party if the Republican was blatantly pro-abortion, or otherwise completely liberal.

My views on most political issues are well to the "right" of the current GOP leadership, and I could never vote Democratic, unless that Democratic candidate were radically different from any Dem presidential candidates of recent times.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='PhillyMatt' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:03 PM']I'd pray that next election that there will be a decent 3rd part candidate, hopefully libertarian.  I at least want this candidate to have a decent command of the english language and to put on the guise of being vaguley intelligent  I want a president who is intelligent, one that is a leader, and one who inspires. 

But hey, if a rep or dem has the attributes, I'll vote for them.  Whichever one I think will be best for the country as a WHOLE.  That's the one I'd vote for.
[right][snapback]802070[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So how they actually stand on the issues is comparatively unimportant to you?

TheOliverOrder88

I say vote with your heart, a Catholic heart that is.

We have a problem with the next election....who would the epitome Republican, with leadership, who would be running.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:06 PM']incidentally (and this is a sincere question)

Can anyone name a republican who is pro life?  I know of two.
[right][snapback]802129[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Do you mean "likely presidential candidate" or any Republican?

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:10 PM']Do you mean "likely presidential candidate" or any Republican?
[right][snapback]802134[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Any republican in office.

LOL.

"And has my first act with this new authority, I shall create a grand army of Catholics to counter to increasing threats of the Enemy!" - Chancellor Palpatine from Star Wars[b] "Not a real quote entirally"[/b]

Edited by White Knight

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:52 PM']So how they actually stand on the issues is comparatively unimportant to you?
[right][snapback]802115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A candidates issues or stance only goes so far. It usually changes throughout their tenure in office based on public opinion. If the candidate thinks that being pro-life will get him more votes, he'll become pro-life if he is smart. It's ultimatly up to the public in regarding what the office holder believes. I refuse to believe that those in public office have the beliefs due to their conscience, it's what'll get votes.

I'm just saying I'd like an intelligent and well spoken person in office. Maybe Bush's belief system, with Kerry's intelligence and nuance. I want the president to be AND sound smarter than Larry my paperboy. (I apologize to Larry if I hurt his feelings.)

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:50 PM']You mean like when Lincoln was elected? 

Republicans tend to forget that they were once a third party
[right][snapback]802111[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yep. Not this one, though...

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:17 PM']The Church has always allowed for capital punishment for serious crimes, yet has always been opposed to abortion.

Abortion and euthanasia are always wrong, and rank higher in moral seriousness  than capital punishment when making political choices.
[right][snapback]802078[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:06 PM']incidentally (and this is a sincere question)

Can anyone name a republican who is pro life?  I know of two.
[right][snapback]802129[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:10 PM']Do you mean "likely presidential candidate" or any Republican?
[right][snapback]802134[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:12 PM']Any republican in office.
[right][snapback]802135[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So can anyone help me?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 28 2005, 10:51 PM']So can anyone help me?
[right][snapback]803237[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Is there a point you are trying to make here?
What do you mean by "pro-life"?

I don't have a list of all the names, but a large number (not all) Republicans are pro-life. On the March for Life, every year a good number of Congressmen (most of them Republican) take the stage to voice their opposition to abortion and Roe v. Wade. There are many pro-life governors as well.

Unfortunately, much effort by pro-lifers in Congress gets struck down by the Democrats and "moderate" Republicans, but this is no reason to discredit every Republican politician. (And no one can deny that there are many more pro-life Republicans than Democrats.)

Maybe when I get more time tomorrow, I can find a current list for you.

As for your first question, I beleive I've quoted Cardinal Ratzinger enough times. We've been over this before.