An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics and Republicans

Socrates

In national elections, should Catholics:  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've made this thread in part for the benefit of Mr. Lowell, so that he can post and debate on this topic, rather than "hijacking" the "gay seminarian" thread to discuss this topic.

The thing is, if we didnt vote for bush, that mean more votes for Kerry, what are we suppose to do? we couldnt let that liberal fool become president.

[quote name='MC Just' date='Nov 27 2005, 03:56 PM']The thing is, if we didnt vote for bush, that mean more votes for Kerry, what are we suppose to do? we couldnt let that liberal fool become president.
[right][snapback]801698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
MC could you please be a little more prudent with calling people geniuses. I am not defending Kerry, but that is uneccisary. <_<

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Nov 27 2005, 03:50 PM']ummm when you mean third party i assume that you mean a third party that supports catholic teaching?
[right][snapback]801690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, a pro-life, conservative party such as the Constitution Party, not a pro-abort liberal party like the Greens.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

well the republicans are conservative and many are pro- life so
I so no real difference in voting between the constitutional party and the republican party, except that the republican party might actually put someone in office.

I'm all for promoting free religion in the public square, but the constitutionalists are theocrats to the point that it's almost comical. I used to be one but got sick of their intollerable fundamentalism. Anway, a bit off topic i know, just thought i'd contribute my 2 cents.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 27 2005, 04:48 PM']It would take a major realignment of the American people to put a third party candidate in office.
[right][snapback]801776[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Like the 25% (give or take) of the population that professes to be Catholic actually vote in accord with their professed belief?

photosynthesis

I picked the first choice, Republican, because i tend to vote Republican. However, I think it really depends on the candidate. there are pro-life Democrats out there, and there are pro-choice republicans. It depends on where the candidate stands on the issues, particularly abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, gay marriage and cloning.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 27 2005, 04:09 PM']MC could you please be a little more prudent with calling people geniuses. I am not defending Kerry, but that is uneccisary.  <_<
[right][snapback]801710[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry, I get that from my Priest. lol

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='MC Just' date='Nov 27 2005, 06:44 PM']Sorry, I get that from my Priest. lol
[right][snapback]801914[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

I'd pray that next election that there will be a decent 3rd part candidate, hopefully libertarian. I at least want this candidate to have a decent command of the english language and to put on the guise of being vaguley intelligent I want a president who is intelligent, one that is a leader, and one who inspires.

But hey, if a rep or dem has the attributes, I'll vote for them. Whichever one I think will be best for the country as a WHOLE. That's the one I'd vote for.

[quote name='rkwright' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:14 PM']my problem lies in the 'pro life' yet pro capital punishment stance of most republicans...
[right][snapback]802075[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Church has always allowed for capital punishment for serious crimes, yet has always been opposed to abortion.

Abortion and euthanasia are always wrong, and rank higher in moral seriousness than capital punishment when making political choices.