An Old School Catholic Message Board

salvation

jesussaves

[quote] "Man is justified by faith alone, but faith is never alone"
-Martin Luther[/quote]

Devil worshippers have faith in God and Jesus too.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 26 2005, 08:27 PM']Devil worshippers have faith in God and Jesus too.
[right][snapback]801137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
they just don't obey what God says!

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 26 2005, 08:27 PM']Devil worshippers have faith in God and Jesus too.
[right][snapback]801137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They do not.
Simple belief in the existance of God does not equal Faith in Him.

[quote]Simple belief in the existance of God does not equal Faith in Him.[/quote]

So do you agree with Luther that from faith automatically follows the good works?

Oh and I wasn't talking just about simple belief in existence.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 26 2005, 09:15 PM']So do you agree with Luther that from faith automatically follows the good works?

Oh and I wasn't talking just about simple belief in existence.
[right][snapback]801203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If one has true Faith, it will bear fruit in good works.
What I disagree with is the Protestant assertion that good works have no merit towards salvation.
However, the works in themselves do not save us. Here, the protestants misinterpret Catholic teaching on salvation.

See if we define faith as all these things:

1. Knowing God's Word
2. Believing God's Word
3. Doing God's Word

then what Luther says doesn't make sense. Since if the good works are already included in the 'faith', then there can't be first faith and after that the good works.

So if we want it to make sense, the definition of faith can't have number 3 on it (doing God's Word). But then devil worshippers can be said to have faith (they know it and believe it)... but then they'd have faith without the good works. And then Luther makes no sense again.

So in either case, Luther makes no sense.

I'm very tired. Do I make any sense?

[quote name='photo']why would St. James say faith was not enough if faith included all 3 of those components?[/quote]

Are you saying that catholicism makes no sense either? I have no problem with that, you know. Though, I almost said in my last post that it does. Perhaps it's good that I didn't then.

Edited by Semalsia

photosynthesis

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 26 2005, 10:27 PM'][quote name='photo']why would St. James say faith was not enough if faith included all 3 of those components?[/quote]

Are you saying that catholicism makes no sense either? I have no problem with that, you know. Though, I almost said in my last post that it does. Perhaps it's good that I didn't then.
[right][snapback]801262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
nope, Catholicism makes all the sense in the world.

I was addressing the idea that Protestants tend to put faith + works together and just call it faith, while defining works as something "religious." For protetstandts, doing missions work, leading Bible study, evangelizing, serving others are seen as an extension of faith, and not good works... perhaps they are a bit of both. Whereas doing things like giving stuff up for Lent, genuflecting, saying certian prayers to gain special graces, fasting, and other religious disciplines are seen as "works of the law," completely devoid of faith.

[quote name='jesussaves' date='Nov 27 2005, 12:09 AM']I am sorry to shake your website with the truth, but the Roman Church's teachings are lies. Truth is what you need. Please repent unto the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness of sins.
[right][snapback]800867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ok

you've convinced me

i'm converting now

[b]NOT[/b]

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

guys.....

i think since he tried to convert us first.... now its our turn.

[img]http://www.envoymagazine.com/joe-catholic.gif[/img]

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Nov 27 2005, 08:40 AM']guys.....

i think since he tried to convert us first.... now its our turn.

[img]http://www.envoymagazine.com/joe-catholic.gif[/img]
[right][snapback]801496[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ROTFL!!!