An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Castration?

DAF

I don't know if it will pull much debate, but a funny question just came to me, so I figured I'd share it with the rest of you.

What might be the moral implications of a clergyman or religious being castrated of his own free will (i.e. castration not being compulsory Church procedure) in order to become less "occupied with matters of the flesh?"
It would be a rather literal interpretation of passages like Mt. 18:7-9, but again, what are the implications in doing such a thing?

I have formulated my own half baked idea of how i feel about it, but i would like your input.

thanks,
in Christ :)

[quote name='DAF' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:20 PM']I don't know if it will pull much debate, but a funny question just came to me, so I figured I'd share it with the rest of you.

What might be the moral implications of a clergyman or religious being castrated of his own free will (i.e. castration not being compulsory Church procedure) in order to become less "occupied with matters of the flesh?"
It would be a rather literal interpretation of passages like Mt. 18:7-9, but again, what are the implications in doing such a thing?

I have formulated my own half baked idea of how i feel about it, but i would like your input.

thanks,
[right][snapback]800537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wouldn't recommend it.

I've heard rumors of some saint from way back doing this, but I can't confirm it.

The Church does teach that deliberate mutilation of the body is a sin. Castration is definitely one of the worst forms of mutilation.

I think that is actually an impediment to orders.

Can 1041 par 5:a person who has mutilated himself or another gravely and maliciously or who has attempted suicide

I am almost positive there is something more specific that deals with this issue but I cannot recall it off of the top of my head. I think that a eunuch may be ordained as long as it was not self-inflicted.

That's what i was thinking also, and "no evil means justifies a good end," but I have to think that the practice can't be inherantly evil altogether.
And, i might sound looney here, but Jesus said "eat my body and drink my blood" and we took him seriously, why should this necessarily be different? ^_^

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:24 PM']I've heard rumors of some saint from way back doing this, but I can't confirm it.
[/quote]
Are you reffering to Origien?

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:29 PM']I think that is actually an impediment to orders.

Can 1041 par 5:a person who has mutilated himself or another gravely and maliciously or who has attempted suicide

I am almost positive there is something more specific that deals with this issue but I cannot recall it off of the top of my head. I think that a eunuch may be ordained as long as it was not self-inflicted.
[right][snapback]800550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Men with severe physical disabilities or mutilation/deformity (even if not self-inflicted) must receive special dispensation to become a priest.

I knew a man who became a priest who was crippled for life from gunshot wounds he received as a boy. The bishop had to give him special permission to study for the priesthood.

And I've never heard of a eunuch becoming a priest.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:33 PM']And I've never heard of a eunuch becoming a priest.
[right][snapback]800564[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ok. Like I said I thought that was the case but I could be entriely wrong on this one.

[quote name='DAF' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:29 PM']That's what i was thinking also, and "no evil means justifies a good end," but I have to think that the practice can't be inherantly evil altogether.
And, i might sound looney here, but Jesus said "eat my body and drink my blood" and we took him seriously, why should this necessarily be different? ^_^

[right][snapback]800552[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Context and Church teaching.

I Christ literally a vine or a door? Christ often used metaphors and hyperbole. The context in John about the Eucharist is clearly different. (Note the people's reaction, and Christ's reaction to them).

Yes yes, I've studied Church teaching with scripture, but you get what I mean.

I'll ask my bishop if nobody knows for sure (actually I'll ask anyway ^_^ )

Edited by DAF

photosynthesis

[quote name='DAF' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:20 PM']What might be the moral implications of a clergyman or religious being castrated of his own free will (i.e. castration not being compulsory Church procedure) in order to become less "occupied with matters of the flesh?"
[right][snapback]800537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't think the Church has ever been in favor of eunuch priests, but I might be wrong. But singing eunuchs are another story...

haha, yes, i was just thinking about that. I feel terrible for those poor children who were castrated against their will so they migh be more pleasing to the ear. :(
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was in favor of them, but i also wouldn't go so far as to say it regards it as an objective evil either. Like I said, I plan to ask my bishop.