An Old School Catholic Message Board

ScamBaiting - moral or not?

Didacus

Is ScamBaiting a moral practice/  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 months later...

After a lot of thought, I believe I realize now the wrong in this matter;

Love does not rejoice in that which is wrong or evil.

If I have 'fun' bringing these crooks to justice, then it is an uncharitable act. I am not acting out of necessity or love.

I think that most people who endulge in this activity do so either for revenge or just for the opportunity to make fun of another human being, and both venues are wrong.

Furthermore, if someone is morally unstable to the point of steeling openly on the internet, and he or she is caugt in a sambait (and some of these are pretty cruel towards the sammers), do you think the scammers will repent and stop their activities, or simply get angry and sink even further in immorality. Turth is you cna't tell for sure, but I do not want to be responsible for someone sinking deeper into immorality just because I had the opportunity to have a good time by making fun of them.

If I am to fight the scammers, I think the best way of going about it is to reveal their scams and spread the knowledge of it to as many people as possible.

Back to you Bob...

[quote name='Didacus' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:40 AM']After a lot of thought, I believe I realize now the wrong in this matter;

Love does not rejoice in that which is wrong or evil.

If I have 'fun' bringing these crooks to justice, then it is an uncharitable act.  I am not acting out of necessity or love.

I think that most people who endulge in this activity do so either for revenge or just for the opportunity to make fun of another human being, and both venues are wrong.

Furthermore, if someone is morally unstable to the point of steeling openly on the internet, and he or she is caugt in a sambait (and some of these are pretty cruel towards the sammers), do you think the scammers will repent and stop their activities, or simply get angry and sink even further in immorality.  Turth is you cna't tell for sure, but I do not want to be responsible for someone sinking deeper into immorality just because I had the opportunity to have a good time by making fun of them.

If I am to fight the scammers, I think the best way of going about it is to reveal their scams and spread the knowledge of it to as many people as possible.
Back to you Bob...
[right][snapback]941920[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And for that sincerely insightful and profound comment, you've won a hot stuff corps t shirt!

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:43 AM']And for that sincerely insightful and profound comment, you've won a hot stuff corps t shirt!
[right][snapback]941956[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oooo, can I have one?

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Apr 10 2006, 09:55 AM']Oooo, can I have one?
[right][snapback]942030[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes

Just as soon as you come up with something insightful and profound.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 10 2006, 10:03 AM']Yes

Just as soon as you come up with something insightful and profound.
[right][snapback]942037[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I come up with insightful and profound statements all the time! I ooze insight and profundity!

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:43 AM']And for that sincerely insightful and profound comment, you've won a hot stuff corps t shirt!
[right][snapback]941956[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks!

:blush:

Wow, I hadn't blushed in a long time.

I'll pick up that T-shirt right after Wednesday confessions - ya I'm due for another one of those already.

:)

hmmm.

Interesting debate.

I would think it would be a reasonable way to get a scammer to authorities, and with this purpose, it is acceptable.

As for just humiliating someone. I think that could be wrong.

But then again, I think that these people attack primarily people like my grandmother. Maybe the threat of embarassment, or even actual embarassment would stop them from doing these crimes. Sometimes it is difficult for law officials to catch these guys (even with evidence).

Not sure how I feel exactly.

Does that earn a t-shirt?

(They have an interesting article there: [url="http://www.419eater.com/html/ethics.htm"]The Ethics of Scambaiting[/url]

The article link earns you a free T-shirt from didacus.corp;

Will you be taking the orange labelled wildberries t-shirt or the 'no squirrels allowed' one?

[quote name='philothea' date='Nov 25 2005, 01:32 PM']This attitude really doesn't seem Christian to me.  Can you imagine Mary, or Jesus, or any saint tormenting someone -- no matter how guilty -- for fun?
[right][snapback]800204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]I can't imagine any of them spending any time on the internet either.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

How about the people who attach those Planned Parenthood return-envelopes to boxes of bricks?

[quote name='thedude' date='Apr 10 2006, 01:29 PM']How about the people who attach those Planned Parenthood return-envelopes to boxes of bricks?
[right][snapback]942372[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

That's not funny. :mellow: