An Old School Catholic Message Board

Europe's 'baby bust' signals major change

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 1 2005, 04:48 PM']No actually I am just trying to warn you about "the other side of the topic"
I can't help but feel that every time that I hear about Europe's problems with population here,that instead of coming across as concerned Christians that we as Catholics sometimes instead come off with a smug "I told you so" attitude. It bothers me that instead of being concerned for the sake of love and charity that we are instead concerned because we see it as losing Power or even happy at their down fall because of their use of birth control.
It is not exactly Christian to be happy at another person's misfortune.. even if they did cause it themselves.
Not only that but it seems to me that it is all to slippery of a slope for any and all of us to succumb using Children as tools by which to grow political power in the Church. I used the Nazi's as an example... perhaps it was a rather strong example but I beleive it made a strong point. Children as little treasures each of them to be loved and cherished, not to be used for the sole purpose of growing political power.
[right][snapback]807373[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I really think you misunderstand the attitude of "conservative" Catholics with large families.
I happen to know and associate with many large Catholic conservative families. I know none of them who see their children as tools "to be used for the sole purpose of growing political power"!
(That sounds like some ludicrous villianous characture dreamed up by some liberal fictionalist who has never met a real Christian conservative!)
These Catholic families are very loving and close knit, and children are loved and cherished, not used as political pawns. They are not Nazi-like monsters obsessed with political power!
If the children of these families have more children, and create a growing Catholic political/cultural movement, this is seen as an additional blessing, not the ultimate end in itself.
There is nothing wrong with desiring a more Christian social/political order - this is merely positive thinking and wishing well for the Church and one's country, not an expression of hate or happiness at other's misfortune.

I think sometimes liberals are the most prejudiced people, and want to see everybody on the "religious right" as some kind of Nazi monster, rather than as good decent loving human beings.

This is why I want to devote my life to convincing the ZPG and NPG (zero and negative population growth) environmentalists that their gloom and doom predictions were wrong, and share with them the beauty (and sustainability!) of the culture of life. :)

Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University environmental science program here I come!!!! :D: