[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:20 PM']Zach I love psychology
[right][snapback]800306[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes I love psychology.
But I love you more you see.
But I still love psychology.
Always and forever,
Always and forever . . .

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 09:07 PM']Yes I love psychology.
Always and forever,
Always and forever . . .
[right][snapback]800472[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

Sometimes you make me laugh Soc!!

well, it makes me glad to know that I wasn't alone in thinking Maslow and Rogers were bull. They thought so too...

I'm a psych major but I've become disenchanted with the field. It seems that it would be a fight to include God in serious psychological circles, and since I believe Jesus Christ is better at bringing peace of mind I just don't see the need for that kind of stress.

Hello Corporate America! Your newest drone graduates in May...

[quote]In general we may say that modernism aims at that radical transformation of human thought in relation to God, man, the world, and life, here and hereafter, which was prepared by [b]Humanism[/b] and eighteenth-century philosophy, and solemnly promulgated at the French Revolution. J.J. Rousseau, who treated an atheistical philosopher of his time as a modernist, seems to have been the first to use the word in this sense ("Correspondance à M. D.", 15 Jan. 1769). Littré (Dictionnaire), who cites the passage; explains: "Modernist, one who esteems modern times above antiquity".[/quote]

I think this might be a link the article wishes to draw out. :)

The problem is not so much with humanism, but with radical secular humanism that divorces man and God.

[quote]And religions have a specific task in reminding every man and every woman of this awareness, a gift of God and, at the same time, the fruit of centuries of historical experience. This is what I called "the spirit of Assisi." Our world needs this spirit. It needs convictions and behaviors that secure a solid peace to flow from this spirit, to reinforce international institutions and promote reconciliation. [b]The "spirit of Assisi" urges religions to give their contribution to the new humanism today's world needs so badly[/b].

Pope John Paul II, Message to Walter Cardinal Kaspar, 2004[/quote]

Psychology can be a blessing and a curse, because it is by nature more subjective than other disciplines. The Italian Bishops recently rejected "mandatory psychological testing of (Seminary) candidates," while at the same time affirming that "psychological support should be aimed at helping the candidate 'respond with freedom and authenticity to his vocation' by helping him know himself better and identify areas where he may need more assistance from the seminary formation staff."

[url="http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0506586.htm"]http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0506586.htm[/url]

Father Benedict Groeschel, I believe, is a Catholic psychologist. And of course, the Church always presumes physical or psychological imbalance over a demonic possession, until proven otherwise. Like anything else, we need to integrate psychology into the entire panorama of Christian thought. Fides et Ratio, as the Latins are wont to say. :)

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 25 2005, 08:20 PM']Zach I love psychology

It is not the downfall of the Church.
[right][snapback]800306[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ditto

photosynthesis

[quote name='MC Just' date='Nov 25 2005, 05:30 PM']yeah ever since "humanistic psychology" came into the church, our church especially in america has been in a downward spiral.
[right][snapback]800278[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There is nothing that the light of Christ cannot touch! I think one can easily interpret some of Maslow + Rogers ideas in a Christian light. I don't think Maslow intended self-actualization to mean getting everything you want. Rather, I think he meant it as living one's true potential. Obviously a Catholic can infuse this idea with the light of Christ. As Catholics, we believe that in order to gain eternal life we must die to ourselves, to the world, to our passions. our "true potential" is to live out the universal call of Holiness. I myself have had many "peak experiences" where everything in my life was properly ordered towards God... i don't think it's heterodox to say that people need basic things, like food and shelter and water, then safety and security, then love from family and friends, an enriching environment and a sense of fulfillment about life.

as for Rogers, his idea of client-centered therapy makes sense to me. therapy is REALLY INNEFECTIVE for people who don't feel like they are in charge of their treatment. Ask anyone who works with drug addicts or people who are in therapy under court order. Client center therapy works under the premise that people are not going to change unless they want to change. I don't think this theory encourages an unhealthy distrust of authority. Client centered therapy acknowledges the huge role power can play in a therapist-patient relationship and it prevents the ABUSE of such a power, which does happen.

The author didn't even mention Freud and Jung and Skinner and all of those other nincompoops. Ever read "Catholics and the New Age?" Maslow and Rogers' theories are not the cause of all the Church's problems, and I don't think they've had nearly as much an impact as Jung's theories. it just seems like the author is angry and is looking for someone to point fingers at.

If you know me, you know I am not the type of person that easily goes in to defend the mental health industry or psychology. but it makes a lot more sense for Catholics to dialogue with psychology in an academic way than to completely turn their backs on it and call it all heresy.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 09:07 PM']Yes I love psychology.
Always and forever,
Always and forever . . .
[right][snapback]800472[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_pound: :lol: now i'm going to have that stuck in my head all day as i work on my relational psych portfolio