An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would you be willing to do

Jaime

Would you give your life to protect the Eucharist?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 3 2005, 10:47 AM']if j. c.  needs my help that kinda undermines the whole son of god thing doesn't it?  If my man Dirk came to my house tomorrow asking me to help him beat the spurs I'd be like you don't need my help and now I don't have confidence in your abillities because your asking some random dude to help win your professional basketball game.
[right][snapback]809604[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Except the difference between Dirk and Christ, is that to Dirk you are just some random dude and to Christ your are His son.

BTW...GO SPURS GO!!! What a game the other day, sorry we had to stick it to you. :wedgie:

PadreSantiago

it's a metaphor I'm not saying dirk is anything like christ. I'm saying what the hell could god need my help with? If he needs my help he isn't very god-like is he? Just like if Dirk needed my help he wouldn't be a very good basketball player.

And you better watch your back spurs because we are gunning for you! We were short one of our best players (josh howard) and you can bet revenge will be swift when the mavs and spurs meet again!

Edited by PadreSantiago

PadreSantiago

and oh yeah if you watched that game. WHAT IN GODS NAME WAS KEITH VAN HORN THINKING! He threw the ball away TWICE and that's the game right there if he hadn't made those two mental mistakes. COME ON HORN GET YOUR HEAD OUT!

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 3 2005, 11:10 AM']it's a metaphor I'm not saying dirk is anything like christ.  I'm saying what the hell could god need my help with?  If he needs my help he isn't very god-like is he?  Just like if Dirk needed my help he wouldn't be a very good basketball player.
And you better watch your back spurs because we are gunning for you!  We were short one of our best players (josh howard) and you can bet revenge will be swift when the mavs and spurs meet again!
[right][snapback]809633[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Their is a difference between need and want.

We look forward to the rematch..I think were are tied 1-1.

PadreSantiago

yes I understand there is a difference between want and need but there isn't a difference between christ wanting or needing my help. Either way I'm looking at J.C. and saying Me? Why? You are god you don't need my help and if you want my help I'm questioning your sanity because you are god and I am a mortal human being.

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 3 2005, 11:30 AM']yes I understand there is a difference between want and need but there isn't a difference between christ wanting or needing my help.  Either way I'm looking at J.C. and saying Me?  Why?  You are god you don't need my help and if you want my help I'm questioning your sanity because you are god and I am a mortal human being.
[right][snapback]809651[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with your humility, and I would probally ask the same question...Why me, for I am a sinner? Similiar to when Christ asked Simon Peter to jion him. Simon Peter asked Why me, I am a sinner. However, ultimatly we must submit to Christ's will and trust in Him. If He is asking you, then their is a reason beyond our understaning why.

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 3 2005, 11:41 AM']what is Eucharist anyway?  is that just the name of christ when he comes back?
[right][snapback]809659[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good question, here is a brief explanation from our CCC.

1324 The Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."134 "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch."135

1325 "The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being. It is the culmination both of God's action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit."136

1326 Finally, by the Eucharistic celebration we already unite ourselves with the heavenly liturgy and anticipate eternal life, when God will be all in all.137

1327 In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: "Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking."138

1328 The inexhaustible richness of this sacrament is expressed in the different names we give it. Each name evokes certain aspects of it. It is called:

Eucharist, because it is an action of thanksgiving to God. The Greek words eucharistein139 and eulogein140 recall the Jewish blessings that proclaim - especially during a meal - God's works: creation, redemption, and sanctification.

1329 The Lord's Supper, because of its connection with the supper which the Lord took with his disciples on the eve of his Passion and because it anticipates the wedding feast of the Lamb in the heavenly Jerusalem.141 Breaking of Bread, because Jesus used this rite, part of a Jewish meat when as master of the table he blessed and distributed the bread,142 above all at the Last Supper.143 It is by this action that his disciples will recognize him after his Resurrection,144 and it is this expression that the first Christians will use to designate their Eucharistic assemblies;145 by doing so they signified that all who eat the one broken bread, Christ, enter into communion with him and form but one body in him.146

The Eucharistic assembly (synaxis), because the Eucharist is celebrated amid the assembly of the faithful, the visible expression of the Church.147

1330 The memorial of the Lord's Passion and Resurrection.

The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church's offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, "sacrifice of praise," spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used,148 since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.

The Holy and Divine Liturgy, because the Church's whole liturgy finds its center and most intense expression in the celebration of this sacrament; in the same sense we also call its celebration the Sacred Mysteries. We speak of the Most Blessed Sacrament because it is the Sacrament of sacraments. The Eucharistic species reserved in the tabernacle are designated by this same name.

1331 Holy Communion, because by this sacrament we unite ourselves to Christ, who makes us sharers in his Body and Blood to form a single body.149 We also call it: the holy things (ta hagia; sancta)150 - the first meaning of the phrase "communion of saints" in the Apostles' Creed - the bread of angels, bread from heaven, medicine of immortality,151 viaticum. . . .

1332 Holy Mass (Missa), because the liturgy in which the mystery of salvation is accomplished concludes with the sending forth (missio) of the faithful, so that they may fulfill God's will in their daily lives.

III. THE EUCHARIST IN THE ECONOMY OF SALVATION

The signs of bread and wine

1333 At the heart of the Eucharistic celebration are the bread and wine that, by the words of Christ and the invocation of the Holy Spirit, become Christ's Body and Blood. Faithful to the Lord's command the Church continues to do, in his memory and until his glorious return, what he did on the eve of his Passion: "He took bread. . . ." "He took the cup filled with wine. . . ." The signs of bread and wine become, in a way surpassing understanding, the Body and Blood of Christ; they continue also to signify the goodness of creation. Thus in the Offertory we give thanks to the Creator for bread and wine,152 fruit of the "work of human hands," but above all as "fruit of the earth" and "of the vine" - gifts of the Creator. The Church sees in the gesture of the king-priest Melchizedek, who "brought out bread and wine," a prefiguring of her own offering.153

1334 In the Old Covenant bread and wine were offered in sacrifice among the first fruits of the earth as a sign of grateful acknowledgment to the Creator. But they also received a new significance in the context of the Exodus: the unleavened bread that Israel eats every year at Passover commemorates the haste of the departure that liberated them from Egypt; the remembrance of the manna in the desert will always recall to Israel that it lives by the bread of the Word of God;154 their daily bread is the fruit of the promised land, the pledge of God's faithfulness to his promises. The "cup of blessing"155 at the end of the Jewish Passover meal adds to the festive joy of wine an eschatological dimension: the messianic expectation of the rebuilding of Jerusalem. When Jesus instituted the Eucharist, he gave a new and definitive meaning to the blessing of the bread and the cup.

1335 The miracles of the multiplication of the loaves, when the Lord says the blessing, breaks and distributes the loaves through his disciples to feed the multitude, prefigure the superabundance of this unique bread of his Eucharist.156 The sign of water turned into wine at Cana already announces the Hour of Jesus' glorification. It makes manifest the fulfillment of the wedding feast in the Father's kingdom, where the faithful will drink the new wine that has become the Blood of Christ.157

1336 The first announcement of the Eucharist divided the disciples, just as the announcement of the Passion scandalized them: "This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?"158 The Eucharist and the Cross are stumbling blocks. It is the same mystery and it never ceases to be an occasion of division. "Will you also go away?":159 the Lord's question echoes through the ages, as a loving invitation to discover that only he has "the words of eternal life"160 and that to receive in faith the gift of his Eucharist is to receive the Lord himself.

I remember reading a story about early Christians and about an early martyr. He was told by the Pope to carry the Eucharist to some men and women who were going to be killed for the high crime of being Christian. His friends asked him waht they had (they were pagans) and he would not let them see or touch the Lord. They beat him to death and when the soldier who was to sneak the Body to the prisoners came looking for the kid, he was on the ground half dead. He tried to remove the Eucharist from under the Saint's arm (it was in some sort of protective covering of course), but the boy would not let go. So, he took him back to the Pope, and the young martyr gave the Pope the Host, and said that he protected it with his life. He died soon aftewards. All this, and he was a recent convert.

The faith of the early centuries of Christianity would seem to laugh at anyone who is not willing to die for Christ. Anyone who believes ought to hear, we must defend Christ with our life, because to lose our life and still have Life is much greater than to save our life and put ourselves on a higher pedestal than the Life, the Truth, and the Way.

God bless,
Mikey

Christ chooses to "need" our Help. Christ puts Himself in a vulnerable position where He is subjected to all the vulnerabilities a mere peice of bread would be subject to.