An Old School Catholic Message Board

polygamy on its way?

Didacus

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 21 2005, 08:53 PM']Here we go again.
A fellow who sleeps around with a bunch of women used to be called a womanizer or philanderer.

Now we give this old vice a pretty new name, "polyamory," and it becomes a beautiful "alternative lifestyle" which demands acceptance, and, no doubt, lots of special legal "rights" and privileges to go with it.
[snip][right][snapback]797169[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hence my compliments on their start of the dictionary... control the language and you control reality.

That link to the pedophilia article was from me (if you're refering to the one I posted).

The only thing that is required for pedophilia to be acceptable is to remove the victim from the child. ANd what did that article state? It said that pedophilia could provide benefits to the child; the child learned about sex in a mature relationship rather than learning it in random immature relationships.

To make it seem logical is very easy. You'd be surprised how a quick twist of the words can make everything seem ok. Heck reading the article I posted at the start of this thread I was almost tempted to give ita try for a moment! j/k However, I'm certain teenagers who rad the article might think so.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 21 2005, 09:18 PM'][snip]

Legalizing pedophilia on the other hand is just crazy. That's not going to happen. No way. Polygamy and gay marriage are not going to effect that. There's a clear difference.
[right][snapback]797193[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And what pray tell is the reason pedophillia is not acceptable? What is this clear difference? Try to keep an open mind to others who have a different view and at least listen to their ideas wihtout preconceived notions like morality or protection of the young.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 21 2005, 04:33 PM']Right...  <_<
But can you actually say what's wrong with polygamy? And "God forbids it" is not an adequate answer. You'll have to explain why God forbids it.
[right][snapback]796950[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Anything less than a single spouse is a hinderance to a real commitment.

If I had two wives (or 'serious relationships') my commitment is thus only two half-commitments. And these people don't stop at two partners?!

"Oh dear, George, one of my husbands is dead, but that's ok, I got two others on sthe side, and a couple of woman too!"

or how about this one:

"I broke up with my wife becauase I couldn't get along with her boyfriends."

Semalsia, I challenge you to read 'Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, (a pretty quick read) and then honestly tell me if that is the world where you want to live. In that book, everyone belongs to everyone else. It's like all of society is married to each other and origes are part of religious practice.

[quote name='Didacus']Anything less than a single spouse is a hinderance to a real commitment.[/quote]

Perhaps it is, which is partly why I wouldn't want to be in a polygamous relationship myself. But that's hardly reason enough to deny from those who do want to be in one the right to, um... what exactly do they want? Marriage for three?

Or for more, hm. Okay, if someone came to me and told me about her ten persons she's seriously involved with, it would come across kind of weird. I'd wonder what all these people actually meant for her. But maybe she just desires for different kind of love. Who are we to tell her not to do this?

[quote]Is the difference really so clear?[/quote]
[quote]And what pray tell is the reason pedophillia is not acceptable? What is this clear difference?[/quote]

The difference is harm. Pedophiles cause harm to the children. There's no way around it. Polygamy causes no harm to anyone.

[quote]Semalsia, I challenge you to read 'Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, (a pretty quick read) and then honestly tell me if that is the world where you want to live. In that book, everyone belongs to everyone else. It's like all of society is married to each other and origes are part of religious practice.[/quote]

I've seen it mentioned here quite a few times. I'll take a look.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Nov 23 2005, 12:49 PM']The difference is harm. Pedophiles cause harm to the children. There's no way around it. Polygamy causes no harm to anyone.
[right][snapback]798984[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It causes harm the people in the marriage and to humanity in general, because it is taking on the guise of marriage... a mutually exclusive, life giving, radically committed relationship that is not.

Who are you to tell me that I as a minor am going to be harmed by a relationship with someone twice my age? Maybe I want to... and you should stay out of it. Yeah see... doesn't make sense.

Edited by zunshynn