An Old School Catholic Message Board

societal influence

daugher-of-Mary

daugher-of-Mary

I took the Wimmer Scholarship test today, and part of it was a response essay on the concept of an individual being the product of society and environmental factors. The author subscribed to the theory that not only traits and behaviors are derived from societal/environmental influence, but moral choices have the same source. He cited suicide bombers as an example. He mentioned natural law in passing, but did not cite it as an explicit influence.

So what do you think?

daugher-of-Mary

hehe. I like that answer, plus it would be great fun to see the review board's faces upon reading such a concise essay.

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]ahhh the Wimmer scholarship, that's why so many youngins were running around this place today wacko.gif[/quote]

yes, you can blame the bedlum on 250 confused seniors :blush:

[quote]Well it sounds like an offshoot off of the nature vs. nurture thing.[/quote]

Yeah, I believe the book the excerpt was from included those very words

My phil professor forgive me, but we read a lot about behaviorism and how it is influenced by the enviroment. I think it is essentially circular and is not correlative to the extent that they wish. I think that there is some truth to it, because nothing really develops in a vacuum, but not the way they see it.