An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can you sin while dreaming?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Is there really free will while asleep? Are crimes you seemingly "choose" to commit in a dream sins on a your soul?

Sometimes in my dreams I actually realize that I'm dreaming, and knowing this, I will always try to score with any woman that is in my dream...

That's why I hate it when I have dreams about inDEED's mom.

I say no as well becuase you don't have free use of your will. Also as far as having a rational state of mind...I've had some bothersome dreams where when I finally wake up I realize what the dream was and of course would never consider doing anything in the dream in real life.

Dust, on the other hand is an exception.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='dUSt' date='Nov 18 2005, 05:51 PM']Sometimes in my dreams I actually realize that I'm dreaming, and knowing this, I will always try to score with any woman that is in my dream...

That's why I hate it when I have dreams about inDEED's mom.
[right][snapback]794641[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's hilarious! :smokey:

Glad to here it. I've had some disturbing dreams...

At some point, most of my dreams become lucid. But when that happens, I usually suffer a quasi-conscious existential crisis of whether or not synthetic perception is worth the effort, since it will only make me depressed that it's so transitory. So, I kill myself and the dream ends.

Seriously.

I really don't see how you can sin. Either you're not in control of your will, or you are aware of your dreaming and thus have a detachment from reality that subsets all your actions. When in REM sleep, your brain isolates consciousness to only one hemisphere (I forget which one), so you're not in your full faculties anyways no matter how lucid the dream is. That's why your dog can start talking to you can wake up convinced it really happened until reason sets in. (To some degree this prevents you from being able to read, but so far as reading is detached from symbolic logic I've been able to "read" words in dreams and then wake up with a clear image of the letters.)

So, no, you're not at full capacity, so it's like being unintentionally intoxicated. The will is compromised and nobody is at fault, so sin is moot.

For something to be a sin it has to meet the three requirments. You may recongize them as the lesser extent of the three "conditions" of mortal sin:

1)Some moral deordination or defect in the act
2)Some advertance of the intellect
3)Some assent(consent) of the will

In the case of dreams I do not think that one has proper use of the will or intellect for constitute a human act.

Edited by Paphnutius

All the orthodox Catholic sources I have seen agree that we do not possess the full use of free will in a dream, so one cannot sin while asleep.

Wet dreams are not sinful, so long as one does not do anything deliberately to provoke them before going to sleep.