An Old School Catholic Message Board

National Bishops Conferences?

son_of_angels

son_of_angels

Well, I've been formulating an opinion on this matter....

It seems to me that the notion of a national bishops conference is intrinsically flawed, and contrary to Catholic sensibilities. I understand the purpose, collegiality and all that, but it seems that this makes the Church seem too democratic.

For example, any new Mass translations must be approved by two-thirds of the membership of a national conference. However, clearly the new translations have been promulgated in response to the document "Authentic Liturgy" which called for greater fidelity to the original Latin.

Yet in these votes there is no distinction between the bishops. Some are legates/nuncios of the pope, some are archbishops, some are suffragen bishops. Moreover, if the new translation is not approved it binds on the Ordinaries present not to use the translation in question. Moreover, these meetings are not conducted in Latin, showing a certain autonomy from the Roman pontiff himself in the positions of leadership.

It seems to me that collegiality is best maintained by recognizing the hierarchy among bishops themselves, and by also recognizing the supremecy of each bishop within his own diocese. He should not be forced to recognize documents proposed by other bishops, without the direct intervention of the Holy See. Moreover suffragen bishops should not receive the same hierarchical privileges as archbishops.

Finally, these conferences are administrated mostly by lay people, which de-emphasizes the dignity and relevance of sacramental hierarchy to actual operational hierarchy. The separation of these two seems to be leading the Church into a disaster of historical significance. How are vocations, on the whole, to increase if sacramental ministers are not the primary leaders and representatives of the church organization?

Well, those are my thoughts. Please give me yours.

Laudate_Dominum

Believe it or not, the Bishops conferences had a lot to do with the rebellion against Humanae Vitae and the spread of liberalism in the Church.

And I agree with you in your points, especially regarding an authentic collegiality.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Rick777' date='Nov 17 2005, 03:19 PM']I just hope that they approve the new Mass translations, I dont know why bishops are against this?
[right][snapback]793204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I know right :idontknow:

cmotherofpirl

We don't know the bishops are against it, since the article stating this had an unknown source, prob some flunky from a bishops conference office.

Pope John Paul II devoted an Apostolic Letter "On the Theological and Juridical Nature of Episcopal Conferences":

[quote]Alongside the tradition of Particular Councils and in harmony with it, starting in the last century, for historical, cultural and sociological reasons, Conferences of Bishops began to be established in different countries. These Conferences were set up for specific pastoral purposes, as a means of responding to different ecclesiastical questions of common interest and finding appropriate solutions to them. Unlike Councils, they had a stable and permanent character. The Instruction of the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Regulars issued on August 24, 1889 mentions them expressly by the name "Episcopal Conferences".

The Second Vatican Council, in the Decree Christus Dominus, not only expressed the hope that the venerable institution of Particular Councils would be revitalized (cf. No. 36), but also dealt explicitly with Episcopal Conferences, acknowledging the fact that they had been established in many countries and laying down particular norms regarding them (cf. Nos. 37-38). Indeed, the Council recognized the usefulness and the potential of these structures, and judged that "it would be in the highest degree helpful if in all parts of the world the Bishops of each country or region would meet regularly, so that by sharing their wisdom and experience and exchanging views they may jointly formulate a program for the common good of the Church".

In 1966, Pope Paul VI, by the Motu Proprio Ecclesiae Sanctae, called for Episcopal Conferences to be established wherever they did not yet exist; those already existing were to draw up proper statutes; and in cases where it was not possible to establish a Conference, the Bishops in question were to join already existing Episcopal Conferences; Episcopal Conferences comprising several nations or even international Episcopal Conferences could be established. Several years later, in 1973, the Pastoral Directory for Bishops stated once again that "the Episcopal Conference is established as a contemporary means of contributing in a varied and fruitful way to the practice of collegiality. These Conferences admirably help to foster a spirit of communion with the Universal Church and among the different local Churches. Finally, the Code of Canon Law, promulgated by me on January 25, 1983, established specific norms (Canons 447-459) regulating the objectives and the powers of Episcopal Conferences, as well as their erection, membership and functioning.

[b]At present, Episcopal Conferences fulfill many tasks for the good of the Church. They are called to support, in a growing service, "the inalienable responsibility of each Bishop in relation to the universal Church and to his particular Church" and, naturally, not to hinder it by substituting themselves inappropriately for him, where the canonical legislation does not provide for a limitation of his episcopal power in favor of the Episcopal Conference, or by acting as a fiddler or obstacle as far as direct contact between the individual Bishops and the Apostolic See is concerned.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/motu_proprio/documents/hf_jp-ii_motu-proprio_22071998_apostolos-suos_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_pau...os-suos_en.html[/url]

bad... at least as they are practiced now: it seems that the decisions coming from the conferences tie the hands of the respectice bishops, such that his authority w/in his diocese is limited in favor of some nebulous, collective decision.