An Old School Catholic Message Board

Expressing your feelings

FutureSoror

What do you think about expressing your feelings? How important is it, really? Where do you draw the line between what is necessary and what is new-agey touchy-feely?

I've been thinking about this lately, because I believe that a lot of people base too much on feelings. However, I have recently discovered that if I talk about my feelings/what I'm going through, that I don't bottle them up, worry too much, and become over-stressed. It's much more comforting, day to day.

I want to know what you think!

PadreSantiago

me neither because I am a robot sent from the future TO ROCK THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously let it out. It's unhealthy to keep feelings bottled up inside. I like to spit some hot fire on the microphone when I need to get something off my chest.

It is okay to have a few that you can talk things out with, but the trick is not to jump into something too deep before the other person is ready. There needs to be a solid foundation for the relationship and it needs to be with someone who has a good head on their shoulders so they can tell you if you are basing too much on feelings.

We all have feelings and need to be "in touch" with them. Basically not crushing them under intellect. They are an important part of who you are and how God created you. One the other hand, you are not to let them drive all our actions. Moderate them.

I cannot remember the saying, but I think it is from the apothegmata. It talks about people who speek so openly about themselves and feelings are like a house with no door.

I don't know about "expressing" as such. Expressing to whom? Friends, family, professionals?

I think a lot of times when people share things they're upset or hurt by, they just re-live and re-awaken the anger and misery. Do this enough times and you form a nice little neural pathway that takes no effot at all to trigger. Much better is to forget the past and and move on.

However, people should, perhaps, have some sort of creative outlet to channel their emotions into.

And, if you're currently overwhelmed by an emotion, it does no good to pretend it's not happening. Acknowledge its existence, cope as well as you can, and try to get past it.

Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
Call the schoolmaster!

---Pink Floyd