An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Buildings

Church Punk

This weekend has been one of contrast for me. Friday I atteneded mass at my "home" parish in Windsor, ON (Our Lady of the Assumption), this parish is one of the oldest and most historical buildings in the province.

The mass as usual was very reverant, almost a dead silence is through out the chruch. Much of our mass is in Latin as well, (the Gloria, Santus ect). It feels so peaceful being at this church. There is also a devote following of our Lady there.

In contrast on Sunday I attended my parents church in London, ON (St. Justin's). This church is a "modern building" church build after the VII council. It completely looks like a protatsant parish there are little to no statues of Christ or any saints. Its sloping floors gives you the feel that you want to fall forward. There are many childern here which is great. However a good number are free to run around though out the church Mass.

During the liturgy rarelly if ever is a word in Latin uttered. However the two priest at the parish are very reverant. The excitement of this mass peaked during Fathers Homily as it lead to the Eucharist. With all the passion of St. Paul he began preaching. Calling for us to be in constant conversion, to be fruitful, to produce an additional 5 talents. He also called us to come to confession, and explaining the importance of each of the sacraments.

So you guys, what are your thoughts on "the new modern style of church buildings" and the communities that are housed with in. Personally I like the old traditional type of building and traditional liturgies, how ever as it shows in my experiance this weekend. The community is far more than the place of Worship.

I generally prefer old-school architecture. The Kartause in Austria (FUS's Austrian Campus) had a wonderful chapel. The vast heights within the building just make one feel at awe. It annoys you more when you see people having regular conversations in such a structure. It reminds you of your smallness. You feel like you should go outside if you want to have a conversation, which is where it should be. I remember in Europe straining my neck because I would always be looking UP in the cathedrals and chapels.

I would tend to discuss community separately from the architecture of the building. In general, though, you're right. It's better to have a good community than a good building.

I have changed my feeling on this issue many times.

Overall, regardless of era or personal tastes, I think churches and chapels should be the most beautiful possible buildings, made with the finest materials, by the best architects. But...

When I was not Catholic, I must admit that this certainly attracted me to the Church:

[img]http://www.schlacks.org/JamesPhotos/Mary%20Angels/St%20Joseph%20%28Wilmette%29%20%202.jpg[/img]

(That's the altar at the church where I was married. And it's a so-so picture, and out of context in the building it's hard to appreciate.)

Later, we moved, and I signed up for RCIA. The nearest church was modern-style. However, the music director was a professor in the music department at Northwestern, so I didn't care about the architecture, the music great; it was enough to thrill me.

Then, we moved again, downstate. We drove to a city about 40 miles away for mass. The architecture was nice, but modern. The music was nothing special. But, it was run by fabulous Franciscian Friars! They were the best. Brilliant homilies. Beautiful masses. I was happy.

Later our situation changed, and it was no longer possible to drive all that way, so I started going to the little local parish. The church is small, cheaply built, and ugly. There is no music at all. The mass is... mostly correct. The homilies are terrible. It is like someone actually tried to make mass as boring and awful as possible.

And after a few years of feeling sorry for myself and hating going there, I discovered that what really matters is [i]what happens at mass[/i]. If I had pretty architecture, or gorgeous music, or inspiring homilies to keep me entertained, I might never have really comprehended this. (And I have always -- even before I was Catholic -- loved and believed in the eucharist.)

So... As I said above, I believe churches should be beautiful, and music should be well done and reverent, and homilies should be intelligent and inspiring. But it's a shame to see people who get so wrapped up in details. The mass isn't a performance. It's not entertainment. Insisting on either happy-fellowship-y or ultra-traditional are both mistakes, I think. If you can't worship God without snazzy music, perhaps something is wrong? If you can't pray without Latin and stained glass windows, why not?