An Old School Catholic Message Board

Physical Body in heaven?

Victor

[color=green]365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the "form" of the body: i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.[/color]

[color=blue]How does one reconcile the above to the reality that heaven is mostly talked about as a spiritual reality? How do you have a physical body in a spiritual world? Let me know your thoughts.

~Victor[/color]

Also, let's not forget that, although everyone else in Spiritual, two Heavenly citizens already possess their bodies in ressurrected form: Our Lord and Our Lady.

St. Paul speaks of a "spiritual" body; truly flesh and blood, but transcending our current state.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 11 2005, 03:59 PM']Also, let's not forget that, although everyone else in Spiritual, two Heavenly citizens already possess their bodies in ressurrected form: Our Lord and Our Lady.

St. Paul speaks of a "spiritual" body; truly flesh and blood, but transcending our current state.
[right][snapback]786035[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is a good point. But I was dwelling more on how a physical body that is composed of matter dwells in a realm of spirituality. Hard to imagine what you haven't seen.. :)

~Victor

[quote name='Victor' date='Nov 11 2005, 06:14 PM']That is a good point. But I was dwelling more on how a physical body that is composed of matter dwells in a realm of spirituality. Hard to imagine what you haven't seen.. :)

~Victor
[right][snapback]786069[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It will exist in the physical universe, though after the ressurrection of the dead, the physical universe will be transformed.

God didn't just create the physical world so that He can do away with it for eternity... it's a WORLD WITH OUT END

saecula saeculorum!

And don't forget, we ARE in a world NOW with both physical and spiritual realms....

Whoo-hooo! A transformed body!!! No more effects of aging, gravity and sickness! whoopie!

• 3 years later...

Has anyone read the last book in Narnia? I think it describes well what it 'might' look like.

Saint Augustine once said that our new bodies will be perfect compared to our new bodies once resurrected. I read this in 'City of God' and it was sdaid in such a beautiful way. He was definately the poet of Church fathers; a sinat truly in love with God.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1705517' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:40 PM']Has anyone read the last book in Narnia? I think it describes well what it 'might' look like.

Saint Augustine once said that our new bodies will be perfect compared to our new bodies once resurrected. I read this in 'City of God' and it was sdaid in such a beautiful way. He was definately the poet of Church fathers; a sinat truly in love with God.[/quote]
I sense the symptoms of dyslexia in your post...

[quote name='annie' post='787505' date='Nov 14 2005, 09:31 AM']And don't forget, we ARE in a world NOW with both physical and spiritual realms....

Whoo-hooo! A transformed body!!! No more effects of aging, gravity and sickness! whoopie![/quote]
I was unaware gravity was a consequence of our sins... :unsure:

[quote name='Justin86' post='1705522' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:45 AM']I was unaware gravity was a consequence of our sins... :unsure:[/quote]

I think gravity may be a keeper in the next world, as long as we can control it like superman!

Ok, I'm going to be serious for a minute (shocking, no?), and further elaborate on the question a bit.

If human nature itself is entirely composed of both body and soul, and we will only have bodies upon the resurrection of the dead, exactly what is the nature of those who are in Heaven before the resurrection? If everyone save for Jesus and Mary are in Heaven bodiless, and a body is necessary to be considered human, then the souls in Heaven can not be human, correct? If these souls are not human than what are they?

/end being serious until someone answers question

[quote name='Didacus' post='1705525' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:50 PM']I think gravity may be a keeper in the next world, as long as we can control it like superman![/quote]
It's a bird! It's a plane! IT'S A CHRISTIAN!

Spectator: You mean the Flying Nun?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1705526' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:52 AM']Ok, I'm going to be serious for a minute (shocking, no?), and further elaborate on the question a bit.

If human nature itself is entirely composed of both body and soul, and we will only have bodies upon the resurrection of the dead, exactly what is the nature of those who are in Heaven before the resurrection? If everyone save for Jesus and Mary are in Heaven bodiless, and a body is necessary to be considered human, then the souls in Heaven can not be human, correct? If these souls are not human than what are they?

/end being serious until someone answers question[/quote]

They are human souls, imcomplete unti lthe final accomplishments of the end of time.

Maybe like souls waiting to be conceived?

Do angels have a full nature without a body? Do they slip on a body to come to heaven like we put on clothes to go to work? Do they have several bodies to choose from when they do?

And yes, I am being serious here.

I was asked CAM42 if Saint Augustine genuinely thought that the pagans gods were real demons trying to sway humans to hell; he had written several pasasges in 'Cityu of God' leading me to think this may be the case. CAM42 never got back to me on this one but he did admit it was a very intersting question.