An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do heathens make the best Christian films?

Sojourner

Some good points - but are we already forgetting Mel Gibson's [i]The Passion of the Christ[/i]?

Definitely a religious movie, which appealed specifically to Christians, and not made by a heathen.
And hardly an artistic or commercial failure.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 11 2005, 07:39 PM']Some good points - but are we already forgetting Mel Gibson's [i]The Passion of the Christ[/i]?

Definitely a religious movie, which appealed specifically to Christians, and not made by a heathen.
And hardly an artistic or commercial failure.
[right][snapback]786113[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, if you link to the full article, that movie, along with a couple of others, is pointed out as one of the exceptions to the general rule.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 11 2005, 07:43 PM']Actually, if you link to the full article, that movie, along with a couple of others, is pointed out as one of the exceptions to the general rule.
[right][snapback]786117[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry, I didn't take time to read the entire article -just your quotes.
I kinda suspected this would happen - that'l teach me to shoot off at the keyboard before reading the whole thing! :blush:

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 11 2005, 01:40 PM']That's been my experience too. I grew up hearing that Christian books/music/etc. are "good," but then when I discovered stuff that really [i]was[/i] good, I felt pretty betrayed by all the church folk who'd tried to tell me that it's the moral content of a film that makes or breaks it.

Now I can't walk into a Christian bookstore without getting the heebie-jeebies.
[right][snapback]785860[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'd recommend not giving your kids the Seton Homestudy curriculum!

That seemed to be their whole philosophy of teaching literature. (I graded there for a while.) The sole criteria for judging the "goodness" or "badness" of a book was how virtuous, religious, and holy the characters were.
I got so sick of grading book reports that went essentially, "Such-and such was a bad book because so-and-so did not go to church, did not say the rosary, and were not Catholic. I would not recommend this book to young Catholics." :rolleyes:

I just thought it was funny that so many christians flocked to see The Passion of The Christ, and praised it, even though it was apparently one of the most violent films in years.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 11 2005, 09:09 PM']I'd recommend not giving your kids the Seton Homestudy curriculum!

That seemed to be their whole philosophy of teaching literature.  (I graded there for a while.)  The sole criteria for judging the "goodness" or "badness" of a book was how virtuous, religious, and holy the characters were.
I got so sick of grading book reports that went essentially, "Such-and such was a bad book because so-and-so did not go to church, did not say the rosary, and were not Catholic.  I would not recommend this book to young Catholics."  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]786147[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have zippo experience with Seton homeschoolilng materials (I'm very eclectic), but it has been my experience that this is common in Christian/homeschooling curricula. I use a series of Christian literature guides that actually takes real books and teaches kids how to discern goodness and badness in regular literture... I like it a lot.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ken' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:25 AM']I just thought it was funny that so many christians flocked to see The Passion of The Christ, and praised it, even though it was apparently one of the most violent films in years.
[right][snapback]786258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There's an enormous difference between violence in movies serving the purpose of showing the redemptive suffering of one man and violence in movies serving no purpose but the bloodlust of the audience.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 12 2005, 12:59 PM']There's an enormous difference between violence in movies serving the purpose of showing the redemptive suffering of one man and violence in movies serving no purpose but the bloodlust of the audience.
[right][snapback]786416[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're exactly right.

Although Ken's comment does bring up an interesting little quirk of Christian culture, that violence is much more acceptable to many Christians than, say, sex or swearing. At least that was true in my family.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 12 2005, 08:39 AM']I have zippo experience with Seton homeschoolilng materials (I'm very eclectic), but it has been my experience that this is common in Christian/homeschooling curricula. I use a series of Christian literature guides that actually takes real books and teaches kids how to discern goodness and badness in regular literture... I like it a lot.
[right][snapback]786329[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't think we used Seton at all during the years I was homeschooled; I know we used Rod and Staff, a curriculum put together by Amish folks which followed much the same principles that Socrates describes.

I like how your curriculum sounds much better, though. Teaching kids to discern is SOOO important. The stuff I got didn't go very far in that direction.

homeschoolmom
:hehehe: If you used Rod and Staff (and I have), I can almost guarantee that you didn't use Seton. For the record, R and S is Mennonite. But yes, they have their own little "goody two shoes" readers.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 12 2005, 02:50 PM']:hehehe: If you used Rod and Staff (and I have), I can almost guarantee that you didn't use Seton. For the record, R and S is Mennonite. But yes, they have their own little "goody two shoes" readers.
[right][snapback]786523[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, yes they do. :rolleyes:

I always got the readers out of the way early in the year, and then read whatever I wanted as the year progressed. This was true even in high school -- I'd read through our entire literature book within the first month of classes, and the rest of the year was review. (as an aside, I never did that in my science classes, but for some reason I fancied that I'd be a doctor someday :blink: Good thing I figured that out pretty early in college)

[quote name='Ken' date='Nov 12 2005, 01:25 AM']I just thought it was funny that so many christians flocked to see The Passion of The Christ, and praised it, even though it was apparently one of the most violent films in years.
[right][snapback]786258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Christians are not necessarily against the portrayal of violence in movies per se.

Get over your silly little stereotypes.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:42 PM']Christians are not necessarily against the portrayal of violence in movies per se.

Get over your silly little stereotypes.
[right][snapback]786783[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Per se?

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 12 2005, 09:45 PM']I attended a lecture by Barbara Nicolosi of Act One a few years ago.  Good talk!  I agree with a lot of what she says.
[right][snapback]786786[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, I've read some of her stuff before. She has some great insights into this topic.