An Old School Catholic Message Board

Letter from a disgruntled person on e-mail list...

dUSt

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 13 2005, 08:58 PM']Fantastic logic, except that it is a fallacy called composition.

When the word "inebriate" is being used, it is not a move from slang into moderation, it is an allegory.

Using the word Krunk, is not an allegory.  It is applying slang to a situation.  Clearly this form of slang is not in keeping with the dignity that is due the Church.
[right][snapback]787544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

"Krunk Catholic" means the same thing as "inebriated in the spirit", except it uses a colloquialism.

There is nothing about the word "not in keeping with the dignity of the Church". Words are not taken by themselves. You can find the word "a**" in the Bible, but that's irrelevant. The problem is not with the word, but how it's used.

St. Jerome caught some flack in his day for using the vulgar tongue, too.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 13 2005, 08:06 PM']"Krunk Catholic" means the same thing as "inebriated in the spirit", except it uses a colloquialism.

There is nothing about the word "not in keeping with the dignity of the Church". Words are not taken by themselves. You can find the word "a**" in the Bible, but that's irrelevant. The problem is not with the word, but how it's used.

St. Jerome caught some flack in his day for using the vulgar tongue, too.
[right][snapback]787557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Are you seriously trying to equate hip-hop slang with Latin? :rolling:

That is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Again, you are perpetuating a logical fallacy.

missionseeker

[quote name='journeyman' date='Nov 13 2005, 09:03 PM']In some parts of the south, certain groups  already (still)  think Catholics are cannibals or vampires
I'm among the group that had never heard the word "krunk" prior to phatmass . . . I think it was in the role playing game thread where Father Krunk was suggested as a character
[right][snapback]787552[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh, Yeah.
People used to dsit behind my sister in class and go
Bud Weis EERR

People ask can you eat cereal? can you use credit cards? can you use electricity?

None of those are made up.
And we live RIGHT beside an "assemblies of God" church. And the minister was introducing himself to us and he said we should drop by on Sunday and Mom said that we DID go to church somwhere esle and he asked which one and she said the Catholic one and he took A HUGE step backward. The smile left his face. And then quickly came back as he recomposed himself and said that was nice and that he had to go now. It was really qiute funny.

Missionseeker, what you saidmakes me think of times when (Catholic) friends of mine and I have visited Protestant student ministry groups on campus. It seems that wheever we meet someone new and say we're Catholic, they'll be like "Oh, well so and so over there who participates regularly in our group used to be Catholic."

Like their pointing out to me that Catholics who didn't properly know their faith were sucked out of the True Church by being in their fellowship is going to make me like their group better.

Guest Rick777

simple kind of....just say that your taking what is considered negative or bad and turning it into a positve phrase. Like the woman, EVE and New EVE(VirginMary). Sin was brought into the world by woman and we were freed from sin by the womans seed.