An Old School Catholic Message Board

Letter from a disgruntled person on e-mail list...

dUSt

Kilroy the Ninja

but I am a Catholic Ninja.

semi-retired.

Ya'll don't know just how much I really want one of those shirts.... I just don't think it's in any of the cards right now. (credit cards that is).

I liked all of them, especially B16. The krunk one's ok, it's just not a word I use.

I think dUSt had some great points about not trying to change the mass, etc.

Rock on dUSt!

StatingTheObvious

i was disgruntled by the e-mail. :cool: i got 2 e-mails from dust. 1 to suspend me :sweat: and 1 to buy a tee shirt. :shock: i'll respond to his e-mail when he responds to mine. :P:

and who is our target audience? :)

Teenagers.

When working and trying to evangelize teens, you HAVE to think outside the bun. (but not the same standard for the Mass, obviously)

A teenager and us (adults) will approach the tees different. And it's not like the tees are the sole thing phatmass has to offer. I've had ppl come up to me and they leave with the phatmass web address to find out more. Kids wear the tees ALL the time. Why? to be funny. to be different. To cause people to ASK them about it.

And you can tell by how fast they sell at the youth conferences. :ninja:

I mean really? Hip-hop? Debate table? More and more on the faith and so many sources on the teachings of the Church and dialoge about it with other faithful Catholics?

Brilliant. :nerd:

It's cooler than your grandpa's suspenders. :cool:

dUSt,

While I respect this site immensely, the statement that the writer makes:

[quote name='anon']My first concern was with the t-shirt design containing the words: "Krunk Catholic" on it. I wish to mention that where I come from (St. Louis, MO), the word, "krunk" is a clever substitute for saying, "crazy drunk." I asked my roomate who is from Kansas City, KS and it apparently means the same thing there. I'm not sure what message the shirt was intended to display, but knowing the regional cultural dual- meaning behind the phrase, I would be confused and offended by such a rediculous and perverse representation of the Catholic faith. I feel that PM should have taken more consideration before printing that one.[/quote]

Is consistent with my understanding of the term Krunk. It also is how it is understood by the online editors of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krunk"]Wikipedia[/url].

If there is any ambiguity, I would think that prudence would dictate that it should be omitted, for the sake of overall decency. If one person misinterprets, isn't that one too many?

[quote name='anon']I feel that a shirt that says "B-16 so fresh and so clean" doesn't quite give Pope Benedict XVI his due. A man of his spirituality and vocation deserves a higher level of respect in all things. The shirt vaguely if at all attributes any spirituality or works exclusively to Pope Benedcit nor does it promote a high level of respect for him. Perhaps something that mentions his effect on the Church in a creative manner would have been more appropriate.[/quote]

I think that most know that I agree with this idea. I am not a fan of shortening the name of the Holy Father. He does deserve every ounce of respect and to (inadvertantly) compare him to a vehicle of war, may not be the best message. Again, misinterpretations could be had.

I suppose that equating a Catholic with a lethal assassin could be fun, but again, if one person misinterprets, isn't that one too many?

I will reserve any type of criticism of the last, because I am not part of the NBA/basketball scene, so the term "baller" doesn't really exist in my world.

Now, if you would have made a couple of t-shirts that had, crucifixes, or pierced hearts, or scourgings on them could be just as effective for shock value, and be more appropriate.

Again, dUSt, I respect the site, but I don't want any misinterpretations. I feel that the t's as they stand could do just that. Just my thoughts.

God Bless....

[quote]Blood of Christ inebriate me

--Anima Christi prayer[/quote]

:shock:

So the Church tells us to get KRUNK with the Blood of Christ.

:cheers:

We better not pray the Anima Christ anymore. Someone might think it's ok to get drunk off the Sacramental wine. :rolleyes:

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:02 PM']:shock:

We better not pray the Anima Christ anymore. Someone might think it's ok to get drunk off the Sacramental wine.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]787321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And that is a real concern. At least in catechizing, I have to have that exact conversation with most teens. Hmmmmm......

However, the context in which the prayer is prayed is not anywhere near the same as wearing a Krunk t-shirt, now is it?

First, the rap issue did bring me to this site...cause I am catholic and a rapper...

Second "Krunk" is not the same as "Crunk"..."Krunk" is the spelling that this site use to make to point that you got to get hype for Catholic Church...

"Crunk" is the orginal spelling which means "Crazy Drunk"...See...the C is in place of the D in Drunk...hence the spelling of Crunk and its association...

I've been hearin' "Crunk" since I was about 8 or 9 since I life in the South...and all songs/video/media/etc...use the "C" spelling version, because "Krunk" to them doesn't mean anything...

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 13 2005, 04:46 PM']And that is a real concern.  At least in catechizing, I have to have that exact conversation with most teens.  Hmmmmm......

However, the context in which the prayer is prayed is not anywhere near the same as wearing a Krunk t-shirt, now is it?
[right][snapback]787338[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So we can't pray the Anima Christi in front of non-Catholics? :huh:

I heard Al Jefferson (Celtics forward) not too long ago say in a press conference that the crowd was "krunk". Were there drunks in the crowd? Sure. Is that what he meant, that the crowd was drunk? No. He just meant the crowd was enthusiastic.

Edited by Era Might

honestly i don't really see what the big deal is. He sounded very polite in expressing his concerns. And his concerns are not outrageous.
That's all I have to say about that. :)

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 13 2005, 04:39 PM']So we can't pray the Anima Christi in front of non-Catholics?  :huh:

I heard Al Jefferson (Celtics forward) not too long ago say in a press conference that the crowd was "krunk". Were there drunks in the crowd? Sure. Is that what he meant, that the crowd was drunk? No. He just meant the crowd was enthusiastic.
[right][snapback]787367[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That makes no sense whatsoever. :idontknow:

Who said we can't pray the Anima Christi? Left Field.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 13 2005, 07:36 PM']That makes no sense whatsoever.   :idontknow:

Who said we can't pray the Anima Christi?  Left Field.
[right][snapback]787454[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If something is "off limits" because someone might misunderstand it, as you say the word "Krunk" is, then we can't pray the Anima Christi in front of non-Catholics lest, God forbid, they misunderstand our prayer to get drunk.

"Krunk" doesn't have to mean "crazy drunk", anymore than the word "dope" has to mean "illegal narcotic". It just means "exciting". Like "man, that song got me krunk".

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 13 2005, 07:18 PM']If something is "off limits" because someone might misunderstand it, as you say the word "Krunk" is, then we can't pray the Anima Christi in front of non-Catholics lest, God forbid, they misunderstand our prayer to get drunk.

"Krunk" doesn't have to mean "crazy drunk", anymore than the word "dope" has to mean "illegal narcotic". It just means "exciting". Like "man, that song got me krunk".
[right][snapback]787486[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Fantastic logic, except that it is a fallacy called composition.

When the word "inebriate" is being used, it is not a move from slang into moderation, it is an allegory.

Using the word Krunk, is not an allegory. It is applying slang to a situation. Clearly this form of slang is not in keeping with the dignity that is due the Church.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:43 AM']:lol:
hey dUSt!  remember:  Mary shirts...
[right][snapback]785766[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 11 2005, 12:26 PM']

but I *do* love to wear my shirt that says "Mary is my homegirl."

[right][snapback]785800[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

this sounds like a trend . . .

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:02 PM']:shock:

We better not pray the Anima Christ anymore. Someone might think it's ok to get drunk off the Sacramental wine.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]787321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In some parts of the south, certain groups already (still) think Catholics are cannibals or vampires

I'm among the group that had never heard the word "krunk" prior to phatmass . . . I think it was in the role playing game thread where Father Krunk was suggested as a character