An Old School Catholic Message Board

is this suicide?

photosynthesis

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:46 PM']Not everyone died of kidney failure.  While eventually our bodies all will stop functioning, kidney failure isn't the cause of all death.

I guess I've been kind of a depressing person lately.
[right][snapback]787729[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry, no, I mean that the kidneys (like any organ) fail eventually, if you're lucky enough to avoid being killed by anything else. :mellow: Starvation shouldn't ever cause anyone's death.

And you haven't been depressing at all. :flowers:

photosynthesis

[quote name='philothea' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:52 PM']Sorry, no, I mean that the kidneys (like any organ) fail eventually, if you're lucky enough to avoid being killed by anything else.  :mellow:  Starvation shouldn't ever cause anyone's death.

And you haven't been depressing at all.  :flowers:
[right][snapback]787736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What I mean is that a feeding tube does not have to be accepted. Nor does an IV. When the human faculties ordinarly used to achieve an action are not sufficient in completing their task, then the natural course of death is a viable allowance. No one should be forced (against their will) to receive any treatment that would keep someone alive when they could not do it in an ordinary fashion.

If Terry said she didn't want the tubes, she shouldn't of had to stay on them (although, she never said she didn't). If someone doesn't want dialysis, then they shouldn't be forced to receive it. If someone doesn't want to eat food, then they are committing suicide (unless you happen to be one of the more fasting-oriented saints who went on for long long periods of time without food). What I mean to say is, a feeding tube isn't natural to a human person. Neither is receiving a dialysis.

I do not mean to say that we should reject medicine and treatment. No, thats also wrong. I am saying that no one should be forced to accept them. The body was given a number of ways to heal itself. Most people, however, choose to receive life-saving treatment. That is a good thing, because it shows the fruit of the labor of many doctors and scientist to achieve treatments. I'm just saying, any intervention from another human being is extraordinary (the body is sufficient in taking care of itself in most cases).

God bless,
Mikey

photosynthesis

so if I become unable to feed myself, and I don't want a feeding tube, then it's totally cool if I choose to die of starvation? I don't know about that...

photosynthesis

[quote name='Rick777' date='Nov 15 2005, 12:01 AM']I think sadly it may be suicide, is dialysis such an extraordinary means? It may not be, but I sorta have an inkling it was suicide.
[right][snapback]789327[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
my friend Peter (the son) would have agreed with you.