An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal endorses condom use

cappie

[quote name='jasJis' date='Nov 10 2005, 04:49 PM']This digresses from the topic of this thread, but I'm not sure that's true.  I've tried to find medical evidence to that fact and couldn't.  If you can provide some links?  It was my understanding that there wasn't an 'abortificant' per se, but that the hormones were effectively an abortificant by forcing a menstral cycle and defeating the normal hormonal changes that allowed the fertilized egg to implant in the uterine wall or caused the menstral sloughing of the uterine wall after implantation.  (I would appreciate some links via PM.)
[right][snapback]785059[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, jas, upon further review, I stand corrected. It's not a separate agent. It's the hormones themselves that cause the abortifacient effect (specifically thinning the uterine lining). So it's not that there's a separate agent that does it -- it's the effect of the components of the pill.

[quote name='jasJis' date='Nov 10 2005, 11:38 AM']Basically, are you saying that when one of the persons has contracted AIDS and is forcing sex, it's no longer a marital act, it's a sin, and the other partner's insistence on using a condemn is protecting her and her children from the effects of the infected person's sin?
[right][snapback]784815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that's the argument in favor of allowing nuns to do the same thing.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 10 2005, 10:39 AM']Aaah, the luxurious days of youth, when everything can be black and white ...
[right][snapback]784761[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The moral acts remain the same, people's abilities to act according is what fails. :(

No moral guidance is applied in a vacuum. As you gain life experience, you gain a better understanding of what it is to actually live out faith and morals in real-life situations. That experience, I believe, helps you to see the nuances of morality and to understand it more deeply.

chickens4life

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 10 2005, 07:21 PM']The moral acts remain the same, people's abilities to act according is what fails.  :(
[right][snapback]785092[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, it dosesn't get gray we just tend to forget what it is all about.

Umm. Didn't this happen with a bishop in spain or the Catholic Church in Spain last year and the Pope said the same thing? I don't think these libs are reading anything because they're obviously not reading the teachings of the Church or the newspaper.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 10 2005, 05:39 PM']No moral guidance is applied in a vacuum. As you gain life experience, you gain a better understanding of what it is to actually live out faith and morals in real-life situations. That experience, I believe, helps you to see the nuances of morality and to understand it more deeply.
[right][snapback]785108[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
you're not even thirty yet...when did that become old?

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:01 PM']you're not even thirty yet...when did that become old?
[right][snapback]787744[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wasn't talking about me -- I was talking about Jas, who's actually been married more than a decade. (Maybe two? I can't remember).

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:16 AM']I wasn't talking about me -- I was talking about Jas, who's actually been married more than a decade. (Maybe two? I can't remember).
[right][snapback]788317[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]22 years and counting baby! boo-yah. :cool:

[quote name='jasJis' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:18 AM']22 years and counting baby!  boo-yah.  :cool:
[right][snapback]788319[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Woo hoo for 22 years of marriage!! :cool:

That's what I'm talking about when I say "life experience."

I'd be shocked if the Church did respond. I think most of us feel the article basically took the Cardinal's statements out of context. I suspect the Cardinal had a lot more conditions and qualifiers and possibly was publically discussing ideas for thought and debate, not providing an official statement or decree.

I still hope to see a link to the Vatican document that was referred to in earlier posts about this.