An Old School Catholic Message Board

Capital Punishment in the USA

philothea

Do you think capitlal punishment, as practiced in the modern day United States, can be morally acceptable?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nah, the part constantly quoted about how these [b]cases[/b] are very rare if not practically nonexistent.

In the word "cases" I'm reading times that the death penalty is applicable (major crime) and also the ability/capacity of every government to detain criminals safely. Would you agree?

The Church's statement about rare cases is in regards to the safety of the innocent. If the incarceration of the guilty cannot satisfactorily protect the innocent, then the death penalty can be used.

This is an argument of double effect Q.

Well, then what makes these cases rare? I think that the fact that these cases are rare also falls into the question of what capacity do the governments have to protect the innocent, which from your statement here seems to be the same you say.

What say you?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:07 PM']Well, then what makes these cases rare?  I think that the fact that these cases are rare also falls into the question of what capacity do the governments have to protect the innocent, which from your statement here seems to be the same you say.

What say you?
[right][snapback]780843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i say bring it back to the specific country. How's about the US? Is there any case where people will not be protected from a convicted murderer sentenced to life?

Also, my point with all that I was just saying is that the capacity of governments to protect the dignity of human life varies from country to country and I would even argue that in some countries it's not good enough (meaning they would be better to use the death penalty).

Either way, capacity is not a realm of morals, and so the Church cannot speak on it as the Church.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:13 PM']Yes, the one that Cmom posted in the beginning where he escaped.  :)
[right][snapback]780853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was hoping you'd bring that one up.

What's an important detail about the escaped convict?

He was a death row inmate.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:19 PM']I was hoping you'd bring that one up. 

What's an important detail about the escaped convict?

He was a death row inmate.
[right][snapback]780863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Iz true, but not dead. How about another specific country, say Iraq?

How safe is it to incarcerate many people there?

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:19 PM']Iz true, but not dead.  How about another specific country, say Iraq?

How safe is it to incarcerate many people there?
[right][snapback]780867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Let's look at a few more facts

He was in county lock up waiting to be transported to a state facility. He also appeared to have help. He was also caught

But let's stay with the US since the topic is "Capital Punishment in the USA"

Can the US keep its population safe from dangerous convicts?

Let's switch it around Q

In regards to the US, when would the Church say it was morally acceptable for the US government to put a criminal to death?

When it's too dangerous to hold the convict.

My question for you, can the Church determine if it is dangerous or not? (Perhaps, think of this as though it's about the justness of a war)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:29 PM']When it's too dangerous to hold the convict.

My question for you, can the Church determine if it is dangerous or not?  (Perhaps, think of this as though it's about the justness of a war)
[right][snapback]780881[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And if i were to tell you that cannot happen in the US.?

You're right I'm not

However, I did work in the industry for 8 years.

No one has ever escaped a supermax prison. Ever

I don't believe that anyone has ever escaped an ad/seg unit of a state or federal facility either.