An Old School Catholic Message Board

Capital Punishment in the USA

philothea

Do you think capitlal punishment, as practiced in the modern day United States, can be morally acceptable?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:47 PM']Obviously, it's an issue of morality.  It is not defining dogma.  If it was, there would be not "legitimate diversity of opinion" on this issue.

No one has ever explained how the quote I gave [b]is[/b] to be properly interpreted - I guess we're just not supposed to question Cam's authority.
[right][snapback]780709[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh, would you please stop with that.....you are being childish, as is anyone who uses that, sad, sad lineage.

GAH!!!!! Nice answer for a three year old.

Notice that you people are the only one's who hold this line. It is ad hominem and it is stupid. Please stop and show me a modicum of respect. I respect you.....I don't slander your name, because I don't agree with your position, I let the proof do the talking, not the whining.....

GROW UP!!!!! ALL OF YOU!!!!!!

With that being said, I am out......that is on the same level as LittleLes.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:58 PM']What part of specific governments and their abilities falls under morals?
[right][snapback]780737[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I guess I didn't answer it because I don't know what you mean

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 6 2005, 10:04 PM']Oh, would you please stop with that.....you are being childish, as is anyone who uses that, sad, sad lineage.

GAH!!!!!  Nice answer for a three year old.

Notice that you people are the only one's who hold this line.  It is ad hominem and it is stupid.  Please stop and show me a modicum of respect.  I respect you.....I don't slander your name, because I don't agree with your position, I let the proof do the talking, not the whining.....

GROW UP!!!!!  ALL OF YOU!!!!!!

With that being said, I am out......children.
[right][snapback]780751[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I didn't say anything. :huh:

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 6 2005, 10:04 PM']I guess I didn't answer it because I don't know what you mean
[right][snapback]780752[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, what part of how the governmental systems, such as their judicial system, falls under morals as we're discussing it?

I'm trying to figure out what part of the ability of a government, specifically dealing with the punishment of criminals, falls under the heading "morals."

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 10:16 PM']I'm trying to figure out what part of the ability of a government, specifically dealing with the punishment of criminals, falls under the heading "morals."
[right][snapback]780772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Are you trying to argue that governments ability to govern properly (in the area of incarceration and capital punishment) does not fall under the pervue of the Catholic Church?

Yes. Not considering what they should do with that ability or what they should do to have more capacity, but their current capacity. Would you agree with that?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 10:32 PM']Yes.  Not considering what they should do with that ability or what they should do to have more capacity, but their current capacity.  Would you agree with that?
[right][snapback]780795[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No I don't.

The Church defines what is moral and we as Catholics defend it. Any government that declares something to be legal (and contrary to Catholic teaching) needs to be corrected, It is our duty to help in that correction.

Would you agree with that?

I'm still lost Q

The Church defines faith and morals. If a government is legislating on these topics, we are called to adhere to the teachings of the Church.

But you know that so I don't know what you're getting at bud

Well, the Catechism mentions something else that commonly gets overlooked in these conversations. It makes a comment about the capacity of every government in the world, would you agree? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Are you referring to this in the Catechism?

[quote]1898  Every human community needs an authority to govern it. The foundation of such authority lies in human nature. It is necessary for the unity of the state. Its role is to ensure as far as possible the common good of the society.

1899 The authority required by the moral order derives from God: "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."[/quote]