An Old School Catholic Message Board

Capital Punishment in the USA

philothea

Do you think capitlal punishment, as practiced in the modern day United States, can be morally acceptable?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That quote from Cardinal Ratzinger has been taken completely and totally out of context. Without exceptioin. It has been proven to be so in another thread......

Actually hot stuff, the Holy See was a statement on behalf of a speaker who was under the Cardinal at the time, so Cardinal Ratzinger wins. ;)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:25 PM']Are you gonna answer my question?  If you can...

To yours, there is no answer that I can give.  I don't pay attention to rare cases, just what the Church teaches/can say.
[right][snapback]780656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You gonna answer mine, from August?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:27 PM']Actually hot stuff, the Holy See was a statement on behalf of a speaker who was under the Cardinal at the time, so Cardinal Ratzinger wins.  ;)
[right][snapback]780665[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The head of the Holy See is the Holy Father.

Ratzinger was speaking as representing the Holy See. He knew what he was talking about.
There is no contradiction here. He is merely clarifying that exactly when capital punishment may and may not be applied is a matter of opinion, rather than dogma.

I said I don't care what the rare exceptions are, just that the possibility exists. I also said that in places such as Africa or even South America they are more common than here, but I don't pay attention to specifics. I likewise mentioned Timothy McVeigh and Saddam Hussein as two modern examples (and hinted at Osama bin Laden).

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:32 PM']Ratzinger was speaking as representing the Holy See.  He knew what he was talking about.
There is no contradiction here.  He is merely clarifying that exactly when capital punishment may and may not be applied is a matter of opinion, rather than dogma.
[right][snapback]780677[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wanna try again......you are wrong.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:34 PM']Wanna try again......you are wrong.
[right][snapback]780681[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If he's wrong, then what's right?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:33 PM']I said I don't care what the rare exceptions are, just that the possibility exists.  I also said that in places such as Africa or even South America they are more common than here, but I don't pay attention to specifics.  I likewise mentioned Timothy McVeigh and Saddam Hussein as two modern examples (and hinted at Osama bin Laden).
[right][snapback]780679[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And that is a nonsensical answer. Human dignity has to be applied equally to all. That is what John Paul II was getting at. Incidentally, that is what the Catechetical view is getting at. It doesn't answer the question. It skirts it.