An Old School Catholic Message Board

What about us Protestants?

Guest Sword

Hi all....and hope you are all in good health..

42 year old Protestant here from Northern ireland.......what"s your honest opinions of us??....heritics?....lost "brothers" ??....do we live by the Bible too much???

Sword

[quote name='Sword' date='Oct 27 2005, 04:47 PM']Hi all....and hope you are all in good health..

42 year old Protestant here from Northern ireland.......what"s your honest opinions of us??....heritics?....lost "brothers" ??....do we live by the Bible too much???

Sword
[right][snapback]772210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
closer to lost brothers, I suppose. We recognize you have snippets of the truth, but by rejecting Catholic Tradition you lose quite a bit of essential Christianity not contained in the Bible. It's unfortunate, but hopefully we'll all be reunited some day.

Welcome to Phatmass! You'll find most people here quite eager to have civil conversations with you. ;)

[quote]Even in the beginnings of this one and only Church of God there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly condemned. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions made their appearance and quite large communities came to be separated from full communion with the Catholic Church-for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame. The children who are born into these Communities and who grow up believing in Christ cannot be accused of the sin involved in the separation, and the Catholic Church embraces upon them as brothers, with respect and affection. For men who believe in Christ and have been truly baptized are in communion with the Catholic Church even though this communion is imperfect. The differences that exist in varying degrees between them and the Catholic Church-whether in doctrine and sometimes in discipline, or concerning the structure of the Church-do indeed create many obstacles, sometimes serious ones, to full ecclesiastical communion. The ecumenical movement is striving to overcome these obstacles. But even in spite of them it remains true that all who have been justified by faith in Baptism are members of Christ's body, and have a right to be called Christian, and so are correctly accepted as brothers by the children of the Catholic Church.

--Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, Decree on Ecumenism "Unitatis Redintegratio", #3[/quote]

This is the only opinion that matters.

Edited by Era Might

First point, my friend, nobody can live by the Bible too much only too little. For the Bible is the ultimate witness of the Traditions handed to us and clearly alludes to the Traditions not written therein e.g. John 20: 30; 2 Thessalonians 2:15; 1 Timothy 3:15. Heard of [url="http://www.scotthahn.com/"]Dr Scott Hahn[/url]? The deeper you go into the Bible the more Catholic it becomes. Rather than being too scriptural we'd say Protestants on the whole aren't Catholic enough! ;)

Heretic is a strong word with many negative connotations hence it is not widely used. In the very technical sense its applicable but in practice Era's post covers how Catholics view our seperated brethren. Its not about you being wrong, all that is right in Protestantism is also found in Catholicism, its about trying to share with you what we feel you're missing out on: the fullness of truth. Its not because we hate you, which might not always be apparent in Northern Ireland, but because we love you that we want to share our teachings with you.

Have a listen to this: [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/dload1.asp?rafile=iq_708.ra&source=frmselectseries.asp&seriesID=&T1=The%20Catholic%20gospel"]The Catholic gospel by Dr Scott Hahn[/url]

Fidei Defensor

We view you as our brothers and sisters in Christ.

If you believe the Nicene Creed, and are baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, then you are a member of the Body of Christ.

However, you faith is not complete, but you are still a member of the Body.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Sword' date='Oct 27 2005, 04:47 PM']Hi all....and hope you are all in good health..

Sword
[right][snapback]772210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It would depend on what branch of the family tree you are on and when your group separated from the Church. There are hundreds of different groups out there each with a small bit of the truth.
But to get the whole enchilada you must come home to the Church. :)

1 Tiim 3:15 if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Welcome to the phatmass phamily :)

Edited by cmotherofpirl

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:53 PM']
Welcome to Phatmass!  You'll find most people here quite eager to have civil conversations with you.   ;)
[right][snapback]772218[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:welcome:

Edited by ofpheritup

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:53 PM']You'll find most people here quite eager to have civil conversations with you.
[right][snapback]772218[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and some eager to have uncivil conversations with you...

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 27 2005, 04:00 PM']This is the only opinion that matters.
[right][snapback]772229[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

On Point.

Well, for a start, thanks for the warm welcome!!...
..living here in Northern Ireland has obviously got me interested in what the "Other side" believes...I work, and socialize with Rc catholics...they are just the same as myself.......but....one thing that does strike me.....the RC church seems to have a unrelenting "grasp" of it"s members.....ie...if they even think about reading the gospel for themselves.....they are immediately put off.......why????.....why does the RC Church not like their members reading the bible for themselves????
And why all the prayers to the "Queen of Heaven".......this is a name used by pagens centuries ago????
respectfully,
Sword

[quote name='Sword' date='Oct 30 2005, 03:39 PM']...ie...if they even think about reading the gospel for themselves.....they are immediately put off.......why????.....why does the RC Church not like their members reading the bible for themselves????
  respectfully,
  Sword
[right][snapback]774171[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hehe sry I missed your introduction before Sword, but welcome to the phorum ^_^

As for this question that you asked. Who told you that the Catholic Church doesn't like their members to read the Bible? According to my Priest, I'm supposed to read the Bible every day. My Dad was raised in a very strict Catholic home and he was taught to read the Bible everyday as well. As were many of the other Catholics that are on this board. I promise that we are not restricted from reading the Bible :)

God Bless,
Jen

[quote]the RC church seems to have a unrelenting "grasp" of it"s members.....ie...if they even think about reading the gospel for themselves.....they are immediately put off.......why????.....why does the RC Church not like their members reading the bible for themselves????
[/quote]

Where did you get this information from?

It"s history...
...during the dark ages....the Inquisition etc...when thousands of people were burned to death for standing by the Gospel...
...even now don"t you use the "catachism"[ spelling??]....more so than the Bible?.....

Sword

not true, btw, the catechism is based on the teachings of the Bible, it even gives verses in the Bible on every page for everything that is in it. We do read the Bible for ourselves but we trust in the Church's authority for clarification to make sure we are all on the same page as far as understanding goes. That way, we can stay unified, as the Body of Christ was meant to be, and btw, there were Inquisitions that killed Catholics as well as Protestants, such as the English Inquisition of Queen Elizabeth's time. and as for calling Mary the Queen of Heaven, it has more to do with the fact that Christ honored and respected her as His Mother throughout His life. If He truly became one of us and showed us how to live, wouldn't He honor His own Mother, as God called us to honor ours? And what is the Mother of a King but a Queen? Also, doesn't one of the Psalms say, "The Queen stands, at your right hand, arrayed in gold"? Who could the Queen of Heaven be, but Mary?

Edited by avemaria40