An Old School Catholic Message Board

theivery

Aloysius

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 27 2005, 10:37 PM']If you're taking back the exact bills they took from you, and you can definitively prove that -- e.g., if a pickpocket stole $100, had it in his hand, you chased, tackled, and overpowered him, and took it back -- you'd be on fairly firm footing.

But, if someone you knew came to your house, took $100, you discovered it later and knew it was them then went to THEIR house, went in, and took $100, you could easily find yourself in hot water.
[right][snapback]772489[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
by civil law, yeah.. but I think you'd be morally justified in doing so. I think you would not be morally required to follow civil law in that instance, you are always free to seek justice and if civil law gets in the way of justice then civil law must yield to what is more just.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:39 PM']by civil law, yeah..  but I think you'd be morally justified in doing so.  I think you would not be morally required to follow civil law in that instance, you are always free to seek justice and if civil law gets in the way of justice then civil law must yield to what is more just.
[right][snapback]772493[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'd really just love to be there when you try to explain this to the judge. Love to.

"Really, judge, I was totally justified in doing it because I was following the higher moral law."

lol yeah if you get caught, you're screwed. if you are a father and husband family man type guy, you shouldn't put yourself in such risk. if you have no dependents really and are willing to take that risk, so long as you are prudent it is alright.

and yeah, I probably would try to use that defense, and it'd be really funny. :D:

or, if they did find out it was me and there was like a warrant for my arrest or something, I'd flee to some Church or monastery and attempt to claim sanctuary. it'd cause a whole big news story, maybe i'd get to the supreme court and there'd somehow be a reinstatement of sanctuary laws :D: that'd be awesome :cool:

I think it'd be awesome to claim sanctuary when the state is trying to arrest you for something that you do which was actually morally just.

Nah, it's just one of those hypotheticals that's funny/interesting only when thought of in the hypothetical. There was a guy that used to piss us off...we envisioned simply opening our door & punching him in the face when he knocked. It's horrible when you think about it in reality, but as a hypothetical, it's just darn funny.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 27 2005, 10:37 PM']If you're taking back the exact bills they took from you, and you can definitively prove that -- e.g., if a pickpocket stole $100, had it in his hand, you chased, tackled, and overpowered him, and took it back -- you'd be on fairly firm footing.

But, if someone you knew came to your house, took $100, you discovered it later and knew it was them then went to THEIR house, went in, and took $100, you could easily find yourself in hot water.
[right][snapback]772489[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what I meant.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:01 PM']Yeah ... I've always thought it would be awesome to have a criminal record too. :mellow:
[right][snapback]772520[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:ohno: