An Old School Catholic Message Board

Emotional Reasons

Semalsia

Is a emotional reason a good reason to believe something?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always thought the word "emotions" to be very abiguous. How does one distinguish between the effects of hormones, a "gut feeling" and spiritual insight? The world in general seems to categorize these three things all as emotions.

Now, back to your question. I would say an emotional reason is a good reason to believe in something if that emotional reason is also backed up by logic and/or prayer. While one shouldn't always just go with "what feels right" one should also discern that sometimes that feeling is actually a prompting of the Holy Spirit, even if it sometimes seems to go against reason. If the belief is someone that seems to go against reason, I think the prayer and discernment of that belief should be much more intense and probably aided by a spiritual director.

Does that make sense?

photosynthesis

a lot of beliefs I have came out of emotional reactions. I myself, have "felt" my way into the Church. However, it was also important for me to use the gift of reason and study my way into the Church, so that I could articulate why I believe what I believe, and make sure that what I feel and believe is true according to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

We need to use our emotions and our reason. If either of those is out of whack, it can lead us away from the Truth. For example, if I can study theology and know all of these theories about God, that is a wonderful thing. However, if I do not live the life of faith through prayer and receiving the Sacraments, I am not in the Truth. At the same time, without a knowledge of theology, it is hard to verify the spiritual experiences I have.

One of the PM psychologists will know the theory to which I am referring, but there is an idea that emotions are not simply a knee-jerk response to events or circumstances. Rather, emotions are the product of how we think about those events or circumstances and interpret them--whether we realize what our thought process is, is another story.

It may be that we're not able to immediately articulate the thinking that leads us to have an emotional response--but that doesn't change the fact that our emotions themselves are based on that thinking. In other words, emotions don't come out of nowhere.

That said, to answer your question, I don't think emotions, in and of themselves, are good enough reasons to hold particular beliefs. Emotions are extremely important, though, and may clue us in to the fact that we need to more closely investigate what we are thinking about and what intellectual judgments we are making.

Edited by Thumper

Heh, my parents and I have had discussed this quite a bit, not exactly on whether it's a reason to believe something but on emotions themselves and the part it plays in our lives, especially our faith.

Like morostheos said, it's alright/good if it backed up by prayer and logic, otherwise it's not reliable. It's not reliable because feelings (emotion is feelings taken to a higher level.) come and go and the devil can trick you by feelings as well.

Emotions aren't bad when you can guide them, them themselves aren't bad it's just that they can blind us a lot. So I don't think that emotions are a good enough reason to believe something.

cmotherofpirl

Feeling come and go minute by minute, and can be influenced by many things, includng the pizza I just ate. :)
They should rarely be the basis of any decision or choice, unless it has to which my next choice of pizza brand.

[quote name='Thumper' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:57 PM']One of the PM psychologists will know the theory to which I am referring, but there is an idea that emotions are not simply a knee-jerk response to events or circumstances.  Rather, emotions are the product of how we think about those events or circumstances and interpret them--whether we realize what our thought process is, is another story. 
[right][snapback]770145[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think you're talking about the James-Lange Theory of Emotion. Yeah, I'm a geek like that. And a psych major...

Besides "fight or flight" situations I really think emotions are a bad way to make decisions. I recently broke up with a guy I really do love because we had really solid reasons we should break up. While I love him, I knew breaking up was in the best interest of the both of us. It smells of elderberries, but I'm still okay with the decision. I think major life decisions espically should ignore most emotions and focus on real facts.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Oct 26 2005, 02:04 PM']Since nothing can be 100% proven, isn't unalterable faith in something always a emotional position?
[right][snapback]771164[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There's always emotion associated with faith, yes. But that doesn't mean it's an unreasoned faith.

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Oct 26 2005, 02:04 PM']Since nothing can be 100% proven, isn't unalterable faith in something always a emotional position?
[right][snapback]771164[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Facts can be very solidly proven. One can always choose not to believe in something, or to ignore evidence, but this does not mean nothing can be known with certainity.
If you're going to take the position that nothing can be known with any certainity, and that beleiving anything is always an emotional response, what's the point of this discussion?
If beleiving in anything is emotional, then emotions are the only reason anyone can have for beleiving in anything. This becomes yet another silly semantic game.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Oct 26 2005, 07:38 PM']I'll put it in another way:
Is believing that you can't be wrong based on emotions (instead of reason)?
[right][snapback]771367[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Probably. Reason listens to arguments and facts and discussion, emotions are feelings, reactions and responses. They can influence reasoning, but should not control it.

Do not be as the one who is tossed about by the winds, having no rutter.

Do not let your emotions over ride your intellect. They are a vital part of who you are, but do not give them free reign over your life.