An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian community in suburbia

Sojourner

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:43 PM']Well, and in my situation I don't have a family to be a "domestic church." My parents aren't so much interested in catechizing me as a Catholic.
[right][snapback]770194[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah, same here.

cmotherofpirl

Then you create your own domestic church throughout the liturgical year.
Go buy your advent calenders and candles now.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:48 PM']True in some cases, but not in all. Most mainstream Protestant denominations actually do have fairly extensive church governance systems that spread beyond the walls of the local church and involve some sort of oversight by denominational leaders. In most cases it's not as hierarchical as the Catholic church (Anglicans/Episcopalians being the exception) but there is oversight.
[right][snapback]770200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yah, I know that some Protestant bodies can be quite large (eg, the Southern Baptist conventions). But even so, I think that this structure is of a decidedly different character than that of the Catholic Church. The communion of Churches, united to the Bishops and the Bishop of Rome, is indispensable for a Catholic parish. Although a Protestant parish may belong to a group of like-minded Churches, they are still functionally independent.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:01 PM']Then you create your own domestic church throughout the liturgical year.
[right][snapback]770223[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I do this, actually, although for the most part not with Catholics -- it's mostly with people from my old church.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:21 PM']Yah, I know that some Protestant bodies can be quite large (eg, the Southern Baptist conventions). But even so, I think that this structure is of a decidedly different character than that of the Catholic Church. The communion of Churches, united to the Bishops and the Bishop of Rome, is indispensable for a Catholic parish. Although a Protestant parish may belong to a group of like-minded Churches, they are still functionally independent.
[right][snapback]770250[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about the nature of Protestant church culture. When I was in a denominational (Pentecostal) church, we had very strong links with our churches in other cities (very rarely would a city have 2 from our denom). It is different, but there are strong links that many have... even small denominations, btw...

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:34 PM']Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about the nature of Protestant church culture. When I was in a denominational (Pentecostal) church, we had very strong links with our churches in other cities (very rarely would a city have 2 from our denom). It is different, but there are strong links that many have...  even small denominations, btw...
[right][snapback]770266[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yep. I can vouch for that too. The Reformed Presbyterian denomination I grew up in was quite small, and because of that and its governmental structure there were (and are) very close links between churches in different cities. In fact, I'd say there was probably comparable oversight in that denomination to what I've seen in many Catholic parishes I've gone to.

There are independent churches, don't get me wrong, but there are also many denominations who ascribe to the same creed and body of doctrine and have oversight from outside authority. Granted, they're for the most part not international, and there's not a pope, but there's still more government than simply the local church.

Thy Geekdom Come

Okay Abby, you've brought a valid point. I suggest reading Christifideles Laici and Ecclesia de Eucharistia and then finding ways to make more social programs in your own parish and letting us in on them.

:lol: We laypeople have to do this stuff too...if you figure anything out, help the rest of us. :P:

Christian felowship is a good thing, and I think there should be more Catholic community activities. (Though seperate from the Mass, of course. The liturgy should be focused on the Holy Sacrifice, not "community.")
Being the "Universal Church" does not mean there should not be fellowship among members of a parish. I think a sense of community is a sign of a healthy parish. We should support and strengthen one another in the Faith.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:53 PM']Okay Abby, you've brought a valid point.  I suggest reading Christifideles Laici and Ecclesia de Eucharistia and then finding ways to make more social programs in your own parish and letting us in on them.

:lol: We laypeople have to do this stuff too...if you figure anything out, help the rest of us. :P:
[right][snapback]770569[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'll keep you posted. ;)

Remember Matthew's prophecy of the final judgment - neither the sheep nor the goats recognized Jesus when they did or did not serve

for some ideas - feel free to "borrow" from our parish community life committee . . . and to suggest additional ideas

www.goodshepherd-smithfield.org/parishcommunitylife.html
(I hope it is just me that says the site is down)

short summary

[b]Welcoming [/b](just like at Wal-Mart, our ushers work as greeters) this also includes coffee and donuts Sundays after Mass
[b]Prayer Shawl[/b] - This is both an active and meditative ministry. We pray as we make the shawls; both for the well-being of the eventual recipient, and comfort while wearing their shawl. Prayers and stitches intermingle during the creation of the shawl in the hope that God's Will and our prayers will combine to benefit the recipient.
[b]Cards [/b]- As a parish family, the Card Ministry allows us to share our joys as well as our sorrows. Sending these cards lets our parishioners know that they are in our hearts and not forgotten. It is important that the parishioners know that they are part of a loving and caring parish family.
[b]Meals [/b](someone already mentioned this one - Catholics do it too . . . in fact when my wife was laid up for a couple of months, we were blessed to be recipients of this ministry) (my cooking wasn't that bad - I didn't think - but the kids disagreed) The Good Providers Ministry assists with a meal (s) in time of need. Circumstances that we would provide assistance, but not limited to, are coming home from a hospital stay, short term illness which would prevent the individual from preparing a meal and death in the immediate parish family
[b]Ride Assistance[/b] - Ride Assistance Program Ministry provides transportation to parishioners who are not able to drive for whatever reason to Church functions. (also to medical appointments)
[b]Nursery[/b] (for infants during Mass)
[b]Men's Club[/b] (many mixed marriages - no Knights of Columbus in our parish)
[b]Ladies Guild[/b] (similar issues)
[b]Youth Group[/b] (it's not LifeTeen)(and it's not Religious Ed)
[b]Softball [/b]
[b]Bereavement [/b]- This committee will aid in any way that we are capable to help ease the pain of the loss of a loved one. If the service is held at Good Shepherd and reception afterwards, sandwiches, cookies etc. are set up for fellowship after the funeral.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 25 2005, 01:27 PM']Also, perhaps, we need to do a better job practically. A lot of Catholic parishes are great for senior citizens. Bingo, pot luck dinners, packaging gifts for little kids. What else do they have to do with their time?

Maybe if there was a more explicit young presence, it wouldn't be so bad.
[right][snapback]770067[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, it's frustrating - and I'm the moderator of the young adult group at my parish (my parish is demographically predominantly elderly, too).

Some things I've noticed:

1) Mass may become a "routine activity" to squeeze in on Sunday morning/Saturday evening and to "get done and over with".

2) Many times people can't stick around after Mass because there is another Mass soon thereafter. At my parish the most successful activities are after the last Mass of the day (pet blessings, Corpus Christi and St. Rocco processions, etc.). Also, consider whether the layout of the parish buildings makes it easy to socialize after Mass.

3) A priest with a dynamic personality will do a lot to enthuse the people.

4) For many parents, socializing happens through the parish school, like Cmom mentioned.

5) Many times young people will come with their parents (unless the parish is in one of the "hip" singles-oriented neighborhoods). So, many young people cannot socialize after Mass because they leave with their parents.

6) Here is the saddest part. [i]I honestly think many people are just apathetic[/i]. I know I've seen that in trying to get people to come to young adult activities. We've done the "personal outreach" where we actually talk to people and hand out flyers to events. When we've had our motorcycle blessing, I've even hit the local biker hangouts and kept flyers tucked in my tank bra when riding to hand them out, thinking they's respond to a fellow biker (especially in the local Polish and Spanish community)...all to no avail.

photosynthesis

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:01 PM']Then you create your own domestic church throughout the liturgical year.
[right][snapback]770223[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
?

[quote name='journeyman' date='Oct 26 2005, 12:27 AM']Remember Matthew's prophecy of the final judgment - neither the sheep nor the goats recognized Jesus when they did or did not serve

for some ideas - feel free to "borrow" from our parish community life committee . . . and to suggest additional ideas

www.goodshepherd-smithfield.org/parishcommunitylife.html
(I hope it is just me that says the site is down)

short summary

[b]Welcoming [/b](just like at Wal-Mart, our ushers work as greeters) this also includes coffee and donuts Sundays after Mass
[b]Prayer Shawl[/b] - This is both an active and meditative ministry.  We pray as we make the shawls; both for the well-being of the eventual recipient, and comfort while wearing their shawl.  Prayers and stitches intermingle during the creation of the shawl in the hope that God's Will and our prayers will combine to benefit the recipient.
[b]Cards [/b]- As a parish family, the Card Ministry allows us to share our joys as well as our sorrows. Sending these cards lets our parishioners know that they are in our hearts and not forgotten. It is important that the parishioners know that they are part of a loving and caring parish family.
[b]Meals [/b](someone already mentioned this one - Catholics do it too . . . in fact when my wife was laid up for a couple of months, we were blessed to be recipients of this ministry)  (my cooking wasn't that bad - I didn't think - but the kids disagreed)  The Good Providers Ministry assists with a meal (s) in time of need.  Circumstances that we would provide assistance, but not limited to, are coming home from a hospital stay, short term illness which would prevent the individual from preparing a meal and death in the immediate parish family
[b]Ride Assistance[/b] - Ride Assistance Program Ministry provides transportation to parishioners who are not able to drive for whatever reason to Church functions. (also to medical appointments)
[b]Nursery[/b] (for infants during Mass)
[b]Men's Club[/b] (many mixed marriages - no Knights of Columbus in our parish)
[b]Ladies Guild[/b] (similar issues)
[b]Youth Group[/b] (it's not LifeTeen)(and it's not Religious Ed)
[b]Softball [/b]
[b]Bereavement [/b]- This committee will aid in any way that we  are  capable to help ease  the  pain of  the  loss of a loved one.  If the service is held at Good Shepherd and reception afterwards, sandwiches, cookies etc. are set up for fellowship after the funeral.
[right][snapback]770735[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
these are great ideas!!!! I will seriously think about implementing some of these in our campus ministry. The Card Ministry is a great idea for college students...we all can use some encouragement and exhortation sometimes. After I graduate and get settled into a real parish I will have to suggest some stuff like this, if the parish doesn't offer anything

son_of_angels

I think that the need for community in Catholic parishes is intimately related to the lack of connectedness with social community for many suburban, and even rural parishes. It is so very important to the Christian faith and fellowship in general to be attached to existence as a whole.

The Catholic Church should/must be an important element in how it's believers work on a day to day basis. That is why I love the concept of university parishes and parishes that minister on a basis that embraces the unique social organization of many places, as well, like the Indult communities, as recognizing the different sensibilities among people. Perhaps its time to recognize that "cities" and territory are less important in a more speed-oriented society. I

photosynthesis

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Oct 26 2005, 01:37 AM']I think that the need for community in Catholic parishes is intimately related to the lack of connectedness with social community for many suburban, and even rural parishes. It is so very important to the Christian faith and fellowship in general to be attached to existence as a whole.

The Catholic Church should/must be an important element in how it's believers work on a day to day basis.  That is why I love the concept of university parishes and parishes that minister on a basis that embraces the unique social organization of many places, as well, like the Indult communities, as recognizing the different sensibilities among people.  Perhaps its time to recognize that "cities" and territory are less important in a more speed-oriented society.  I
[right][snapback]770849[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
While I see your point, I think it would be imprudent to organize parishes that way. Parishes are a way of dividing the church into little microcosms, and this division is done geographically. In a parish, there will always be some old people, some young people, some married people with families, some singles, some wacky widows. If we divided parishes based on other demographics, like class, age, family structure, liturgical preferences, we wouldn't have as much diversity and would lose the the wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth. Diversity challenges us to love one another despite our differences.

As a woman in her early 20's, I don't think I would want to go to a parish that was all young adults. I need a diverse community of people. I need older parishioners because I depend on their wisdom. I need married couples to show me what family looks like. I need sisters, brothers and priests to show me what religious life means. I need to see single people, living celibate lives for the Kingdom of God. I need little kids because they help me to see the beauty in life, and they remind me that we are all called to be humble, like little children. I need young people that I can relate to, that are going through the same things I am.

If we take any one of these groups away, we lose the opportunity for true community. It's easy to have relationships with likeminded people who you have things in common with. But it's difficult to relate to someone whose lifestyle, vocation, and background are not like yours.

There are more posts on [url="http://www.mirrorofjustice.com/mirrorofjustice/"]Mirror of Justice[/url] on this topic, which are interesting additions to what's been said here thus far.