An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ecumenism

Myles Domini

Is Ecumenism are profitable venture?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, MichaelFilo, if I had met a Catholic with an attitude like you when I was a Protestant interested in Catholicism, let's just say you would have made my journey to the Church much more difficult....

Ecumenism is friendly dialogue and cooperation based upon Truth.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to quit smoking revprodeji. You smoke at least a a pack a thread.

Ecumenism isn't forcing conversion, nor is it compromising belief. It is dialogue. Hashing out principle after principle after principle until everyone universally comes to the same answer. We're not talking about changing anything that is set in stone. Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox...the first step is just getting along enough to talk to eachother.

[quote]Protestantism is a heresy, and ecumenism is one of the heresies of Protestantism.[/quote]

Well, it's good to know the Fatima Crusader is willing to Magisterialize, in case I ever want to forsake the real thing.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 5 2005, 06:52 AM']UUS 4 life :smokey:
[right][snapback]811731[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
oh golly, the absolute relativism

I think some people on here who shall remain nameless forget that ecumenism itself isn't a bad thing -- at least not true ecumenism. True ecumenism doesn't water down ANY of the Church's teachings. Patrick Madrid and Pete Vere devote a chapter to ecumenism in their book "More Catholic Than the Pope."

And unlike what that "Fatima Crusader" article said, we are to accept EVERYTHING an ecumenical council teaches. The Church determines what is infallible, not us.

Edited by Dave

goldenchild17

Cam42, you quoted Unitatis Redintegratio #15 as saying [quote]These Churches, although separated from us, yet possess true sacraments and above all, by apostolic succession, the priesthood and the Eucharist, whereby they are linked with us in closest intimacy. Therefore some worship in common (communicatio in sacris), given suitable circumstances and the approval of Church authority, is not only possible but to be encouraged.[/quote]

Just wondering, who are "these Churches"? Thanks.

What About the Encycincal [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19280106_mortalium-animos_en.html"]MORTALIUM ANIMOS[/url]

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Dec 8 2005, 11:51 AM']What About the Encycincal [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19280106_mortalium-animos_en.html"]MORTALIUM ANIMOS[/url]
[right][snapback]816901[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You'll have to do better than that. Mortalium Animos condemned FALSE ecumenism, the kind that says it doesn't really matter what you believe or that all religions are equal.