An Old School Catholic Message Board

Domestic Violence

Lil Red

Is a man ever justified in hitting his partner?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:37 AM']Here's another situation. What if the hitting is consentual and thats how the couple gets "their kicks"?  :idontknow: There are some odd people out there. If its consentual, is it justified?
[right][snapback]771027[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Then they should invest in proper sparring gear and perhaps reserve some time at a gym with a ring and a referree to keep things in control.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='scardella' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:06 PM']Maybe you should be the ninja,  :ninja:  not Kilroy...
[right][snapback]770515[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey now... I've flipped bigger men than Don John, much bigger men.

I don't advocate violence, however, if it is truly truly truly a life or death situation, knocking a woman out cold might be justified. Just as knocking a man out cold might be justified.

But that is a very, very rare situation.

And never justified when done in anger - on either side.

[quote name='scardella' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:06 AM']Thanks for the info, though.  *takes notes* *decides it's a good idea*  *wonders when he'll be in a situation that needs a SAFE word*
[right][snapback]771881[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ugh, I hope not. I associate this sort of thing with the kinkier side of sex...S&M, bondage, etc. You only need a 'safe word' when you're doing something that might lead to harm...and what's sexy about that?

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 28 2005, 01:24 AM']Ugh, I hope not.  I associate this sort of thing with the kinkier side of sex...S&M, bondage, etc.  You only need a 'safe word' when you're doing something that might lead to harm...and what's sexy about that?
[right][snapback]772678[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not talking about that sort of stuff. :P:

I was thinking more about tickling 'till she couldn't breathe...

[quote name='scardella' date='Oct 28 2005, 09:05 AM']
I was thinking more about tickling 'till she couldn't breathe...
[right][snapback]772759[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you don't need a 'safe word' for that...just a bit of common sense & respect to stop when she asks you to

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 29 2005, 01:48 AM']respect to stop when she asks you to
[right][snapback]773371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Isn't that exactly the purpose of the safe word?

[quote name='scardella' date='Oct 31 2005, 03:54 PM']Isn't that exactly the purpose of the safe word?
[right][snapback]775128[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No. The purpose of a 'safe word' is that it takes precedence over "stop!!" "don't" or any other phrase that most people would recognise as when the other person should desist. That's why 'safe words' are constructs of the S&M group...you don't (have to) stop, even if the other person is screaming bloody murder....only the safe word is recognised. Only sickos need safe words. There....I've said it

Edited by Cow of Shame

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 31 2005, 06:33 PM']No.  The purpose of a 'safe word' is that it takes precedence over "stop!!"  "don't" or any other phrase that most people would recognise as when the other person should desist.  That's why 'safe words' are constructs of the S&M group...you don't  (have to) stop, even if the other person is screaming bloody murder....only the safe word is recognised.  Only sickos need safe words.  There....I've said it
[right][snapback]775277[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Who are you who are so wise in the ways of S&M?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:33 PM']No.  The purpose of a 'safe word' is that it takes precedence over "stop!!"  "don't" or any other phrase that most people would recognise as when the other person should desist.  That's why 'safe words' are constructs of the S&M group...you don't  (have to) stop, even if the other person is screaming bloody murder....only the safe word is recognised.  Only sickos need safe words.  There....I've said it
[right][snapback]775277[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Not really.
Couples have many different kinds of safe words for different situations.
If I am being tickled by my husband and I say "stop -stop"in a teasing voice, the person knows perfectly well I am not serious. However if I say "uncle", it means there is a problem etc, you really need to stop immediately =asthma attack, leg cramp etc.
Also if you are in a social setrting many couples have code words which means get me out of this situation NOW - someone is hitting on you, you are really reached your limit with Aunt Sue etc.
Safe words are a kind of relationship shorthand.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:01 AM']Not really.
Couples have many different kinds of safe words for different situations.
If I am being tickled  by my husband and I say "stop -stop"in a teasing voice, the person knows perfectly well I am not serious. However if I say "uncle", it means there is a problem etc, you really need to stop immediately =asthma attack, leg cramp etc.
Also if you are in a social setrting many couples have code words which means get me out of this situation NOW - someone is hitting on you, you are really reached your limit with Aunt Sue etc.
[right][snapback]775775[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for the vindication, cmom! :clap:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:01 AM'] Also if you are in a social setrting many couples have [b]code words[/b] which means get me out of this situation NOW - someone is hitting on you, you are really reached your limit with Aunt Sue etc.
[right][snapback]775775[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly...I would say these are [i]code words[/i] that you have with someone close to you. I had a similar one in college,when talking on the phone with the person I was dating, to indicate when there was another person in the room, and we didn't have full privacy.

If you want to equate code words with safe words in your life, then go ahead. I doubt if anyone (ok, I [i]hope[/i] no one) in here will ever really need to differentiate between the two. However, I imagine that if you ask most street-wise people for a definition of a 'safe word' it would involve kinky or hurtful sex practices...not how to get away from Aunt Sue.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:01 AM']If I am being tickled  by my husband and I say "stop -stop"[b]in a teasing voice[/b],[/quote]

I would argue it has more to do with your tone of voice than the exact choice of words. With some sexual practices, tone of voice is [i]irrelevant[/i]. It is only the specific word that is important. I imagine that your husband would stop tickling you if you yelled "Gerbil! Oh Great Jumping turkey!" in an alarmed voice (well, he'd probably stop out of confusion)...but I'm assuming your husband knows if you're serious based on [i]how[/i] you say it, more than what you say. This is what NORMAL PEOPLE DO! Good for you.

Edited by Cow of Shame

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Nov 3 2005, 12:48 AM']Exactly...I would say these are [i]code words[/i] that you have with someone close to you.  I had a similar one in college,when talking on the phone with the person I was dating, to indicate when there was another person in the room, and we didn't have full privacy. 

If you want to equate code words with safe words in your life, then go ahead.  I doubt if anyone (ok, I [i]hope[/i] no one) in here will ever really need to differentiate between the two.  However, I imagine that if you ask most street-wise people for a definition of a 'safe word' it would involve kinky or hurtful sex practices...not how to get away from Aunt Sue.
I would argue it has more to do with your tone of voice than the exact choice of words.  With some sexual practices, tone of voice is [i]irrelevant[/i].  It is only the specific word that is important.  I imagine that your husband would stop tickling you if you yelled "Gerbil! Oh Great  Jumping turkey!" in an alarmed voice (well, he'd probably stop out of confusion)...but I'm assuming your husband knows if you're serious based on [i]how[/i] you say it, more than what you say.  This is what NORMAL PEOPLE DO!  Good for you.
[right][snapback]777552[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I worked on the street doing social services . I know a lot of interesting words. :)