An Old School Catholic Message Board

Domestic Violence

Lil Red

Is a man ever justified in hitting his partner?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Oct 24 2005, 02:58 PM']please explain your responses.
[right][snapback]769229[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I said no, but I suppose he could resort to violence if she were trying to kill the kids or something....

He could in self-defense; ie she's attacking him, and he's doing the minimum to stop her from killing/maiming him.

Edited by scardella

No. Never.
No hitting by either one is acceptable. No slapping, poking, kicking, pinching, shoving, etc.
Not acceptable, not allowable. If it happens, both should go to counseling, as a couple. It takes 2 to tango, but hitting has no justification. Hitting is a symptom of deeper problems, that's why counseling for both is important.
I grew up, fighting with my sisters. They can dish it as well as take it, but that's kids. After 22+ years of marriage, my wife and I have never shoved or poked each other. Don't open the door and you don't have to worry about it getting to wide.

[quote name='jasJis' date='Oct 24 2005, 04:21 PM']No.  Never. 
No hitting by either one is acceptable.  No slapping, poking, kicking, pinching, shoving, etc.
Not acceptable, not allowable.  If it happens, both should go to counseling, as a couple.  It takes 2 to tango, but hitting has no justification.  Hitting is a symptom of deeper problems, that's why counseling for both is important.
I grew up, fighting with my sisters.  They can dish it as well as take it, but that's kids.  After 22+ years of marriage, my wife and I have never shoved or poked each other.  Don't open the door and you don't have to worry about it getting to wide.
[right][snapback]769264[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
100% agreed.

If there is a conflict in the marriage/relationship, there are countless other ways to address it.

Hitting is never ever acceptable by either party. It does nothing but cause severe damage both physically and emotionally.

I voted no because when people talk about hitting their wives it connotes dometic abuse, which is unnacceptable particularly in light of Ephesian 5 and 1 Peter 3 etc. The wife is the icon of the Church, Christ gave up his life for the Church and does not scorn the confessions of penintents inspite of our constant sins. Nothing warrants the physical abuse of the covenant partner. Nothing is further from God's design for this sacred sacrament.

Lawful self-defence falls into a different category. However, it must be noted that for self-defence to be lawful you must use proportionate force. If you're stronger than your wife and she slaps you it doesnt give you warrant to slap her back if you know you're palm strikes more firmly than hers. If the chances of proportionate force are nil then either get out of the way or take it like a man--indeed the former would be my advice even if she were coming at you with a kitchen knife.

If she's attacking him or the children, then yes.

If she attacks him with intent to kill or maim only. If she attacks kids with intent to hurt, spanking of course distinguished from hurting (smacking a kid [responsibly and with consistency] doesn't hurt them, it feeds into their sense of immanent justice. Nuance can come later :club: ).

Rough situation. Of course, if it's gotten to that point one should probably be examining her mental history or one's own behavior as husband.

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Oct 24 2005, 10:41 PM']you are asking the question in a vacuum.... but you can't.....
[right][snapback]769626[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
more vacuums... ^_^

one would assume that a (typically larger) male could subdue a (typically smaller) female without needing to resort to violence in most cases

Edited by Cow of Shame

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 24 2005, 02:45 PM']You don't hit women. 
That's about it.
[right][snapback]769290[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In self defense oh you'd better believe you do.

The fist that is beating you doesn't belong to "a man or a woman" it is a FIST, at the end of the arm of a BULLY. It shouldn't matter who it is attached to. If a woman feels she has the right to hit you then you have the right to defend yourself.

Bullying is not a gender issue, it is a violence issue.