An Old School Catholic Message Board

I need some more info...

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

Okay y'all, my great aunt is asking mw why priests have to wear collars...I said because if there in a crowd, how will they know if they are priests? What should I say?

Easy explanation's please! lol!

Kristina

I'm not sure if your explanation is true of collars, Kristina (tho I should know this!), but besides it being tradition to wear the cassock, I have heard clergy say exactly what you have, that it's an identifiable mark of the priest.

photosynthesis

what about French collars? They are like Roman Collars, but instead of it being a linen band, it's 2 rectangular white flaps hanging down from the neck. I've seen pictures of French priests (like St. Louis Marie de Montfort) wearing them.

Since the cassock or simar is still the official form of dress for a priest in Rome, the collar is still part of the official dress. Some say that the white band symbolizes baptism, or the priest's desire for holiness in contrast to the black of clerical dress which symbolizes his death to the world. Others show a more secular development following the fashions of European dress where all men wore highly stylized collars. In this theory, the modern clerical collar is a descendant of a linen band which used to protect the collar of the shirt.

Either way, the collar is a distinctive sign of the man's committment to God and His Church.

peace...

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 22 2005, 11:17 PM']what about French collars?  They are like Roman Collars, but instead of it being a linen band, it's 2 rectangular white flaps hanging down from the neck.  I've seen pictures of French priests (like St. Louis Marie de Montfort) wearing them.
[right][snapback]767643[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yah, I've seen those.

There's also the full white collar that goes completely around the neck that Redemptorists (and Episcopalians) wear.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='PedroX' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:30 AM']Since the cassock or simar is still the official form of dress for a priest in Rome, the collar is still part of the official dress.  Some say that the white band symbolizes baptism, or the priest's desire for holiness in contrast to the black of clerical dress which symbolizes his death to the world.  Others show a more secular development following the fashions of European dress where all men wore highly stylized collars.  In this theory, the modern clerical collar is a descendant of a linen band which used to protect the collar of the shirt.

Either way, the collar is a distinctive sign of the man's committment to God and His Church.

peace...
[right][snapback]768039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So, it's necessary, right?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='PedroX' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:30 AM']
[right][snapback]768039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

...that, and if it's stiff enough, it makes it a little harder to slit his throat....

I hope it's not necessary cuz I'm pretty sure Peter and Paul didn't wear one!

It's a matter of custom, not of morality or anything. As such, its justification is that its helpful. It's just like a nun's habit...when she walks down the street, without saying anything, everyone who sees her thinks about God or His Church. That's a very cool thing! I don't mean to put down priests who don't wear clerics that often, but I think it's a great witness and I can't wait to wear them while grocery shopping.

As far as the specific form...white collar, black clothes, there may be some kind of meaning tacked on, but the development was almost certainly just a natural one. I heard once that back in the day, the cheapest dye was black because they just mixed up all the leftover dyes to make it. So priests used that. Maybe true, maybe not....it's not really important.

argent_paladin

Well, as you can see, there are two ways to answer the question, since it is really two questions. First, why do priests wear something distinctive. Second, why is it the collar?

It would be similar if you asked, Why are fire engines red?
The first reason is that they are read so that you can see them easily. The second reason involves tradition, history, etc. It is the same thing with the collar.

The first answer is that priests have a separate identity and social status. If one needed a priest (or to keep priests out of trouble) it was necessary for them to wear distinctive clothing. One big reason is canon law. They couldn't be tried in civil courts, but only special church courts.
The second question has already been answered. Most religious habits were just the fashion of the time and haven't changed in hundreds of years.