An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Homosexual Marriage Be Banned?

Sinner

Should Homosexual Marriage Be Banned By Constitutional Amendments In Each State?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 13 2005, 01:09 PM']That describes both aspects of it pretty well, I think.  Marriage does have for it's author God.  So does everything else good.  :)  The state, in not going against what the Church says, upholds this.

The issue is when the state goes against the Church (and worse, Natural Law).
[right][snapback]787245[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No that is not what Pope Leo is saying. He is saying that civil authorities not only do not have the right to define marriage but are working against the Church when they do.

Please Q read the documents

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 13 2005, 01:19 PM']I did...I can't do any more than that.

Even so, is there nothing about marriage in the Natural Law?
[right][snapback]787251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've said this before Q. Dogma supercedes natural law.

Define the levels of law. Put them in order of importance and you will answer your own question immediately.

Edited by jaime

hot stuff, that's a non-answer...

I think that's a misunderstanding of Natural Law and Divine Law/Dogma.

Divine Law gives a supernatural end to the morality of Natural Law. It gives reason for virtue while Natural Law is the moral foundation.

Edited by qfnol31

From the Summa I-II:91:5

[quote] The natural law directs man by way of certain general precepts, common both to the perfect and the imperfect.  Wherefore, it is one and the same for all. But the divine law directs man also in certain particular matters, to which the perfect and imperfect do not stand in the same relation.  Hence the necessity for the divine law to be twofold, is already explained.[/quote]

Hence, virtuous vs. moral. :)

There isn't an idea of them cancelling each other out but working together.

Edit x2: Also, in marriage there are certain things (four to be exact) that are general precepts:

1) Exclusivity
2) Heterosexuality
3) Permanence
4) Procreative

The Church doesn't have to give these because they should be known to all men, because they are from Natural Law...This is the part that government is allowed to legislate, not because it gives the definitions, but because it takes it from the Natural Law.

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 13 2005, 01:39 PM']Hence, virtuous vs. moral.  :)

There isn't an idea of them cancelling each other out but working together.
[right][snapback]787263[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Q

I can't explain it any clearer.