An Old School Catholic Message Board

homosexuality inherited?

infinitelord1

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when they are wrong.
I watched the show as well. He is no expert in biology.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

photosynthesis

don't EVEN get me started on Dr. Phil. What would possess someone to go on that show and bare all to the world?! Privacy anyone? His show is just a testimony to how messed up American culture is and how we've lost our sense of privacy and respect for others. He is to psychology as money-sucking Benny Hinn-style televangelists are to the Church -- an embarrassment.

as far as homosexuality goes, I don't think it is possible to know at this point whether or not it is genetic or environmental. There are also serious ethical issues regarding testing environmental factors and their influence on sexuality. I voted no because there was no "other" or "unknown".

termitescoming4u!

well, i sort of agree with photosynthesis in that it's not pretty certain if homosexuality is inherited or not. but i tink [this is my opinion] that most homosexuals out there are gay because the society support it and doesn't condemn it. also, i think some homosexuals are gay because they either have low self esteem or because they don't know who they are yet. so it's possible for them to come out of their homosexuality, which means it's non-hereditary.

I think I may get "blasted" behind this one. But I am going to try any way.

Sin is sin, when we are tempted we react or we don't. We choose to listen to Satan over God or we don't.

Homosexuality is a sin. I got that part. What I am saying is that. If that sin can supposedly be inherited and that is the excuse some people will use then what is to stop us from using that for every sin?

The great lie is "I couldn't help myself" (inherited). So liars, thieves, adulterers all have an built in excuse.

What I am thinking is just because a man is attracted to a man doesn't mean he has to act on what he is feeling. We are not animals. We have intellect, reasoning, self awareness and God will hold us responsible.

The only thing that Dr. Phil has said that I agree with is "You teach people how to treat you." Other than that Doc ain't got a clue.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:05 AM']I  think I may get "blasted" behind this one. But I am going to try any way.

Sin is sin, when we are  tempted we react or we don't. We choose to listen to Satan over God or we don't.

Homosexuality is a sin. I got that part. What I am saying is that. If that sin can supposedly be inherited and that is the excuse some people will use then what is to stop us from using that for every sin?

The great lie is "I couldn't help myself" (inherited). So liars, thieves, adulterers  all have an built in excuse.

What I am thinking is just because a man is attracted to a man doesn't mean he has to act on what he is feeling.  We are not animals. We have intellect, reasoning, self awareness and God will hold us responsible.

The only thing that Dr. Phil has said that I agree with is "You teach people how to treat you." Other than that Doc ain't got a clue.
[right][snapback]767204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No blasting here :)

Homosexuality is "inherited" the same way alcoholism is "inherited". There is no alcoholism gene. If you grow up in an alcoholic environment, and it impacts your psychological development, there's a very good chance you will become an alcoholic. In the same way, if something impacts your psycho-sexual development (eg, the lack of a male role model), you may very well develop a disordered sexual appetite.

The key here is that you can repair the damage done, at least to a certain extent. You may not be able to undo it completely, but you can bring it into subjection. Ask any recovering alcoholic or sexual addict.

photosynthesis

I've heard it said that men become homosexuals because they lack a father-figure.

I've heard it said that women become homosexuals because of a lack of father-figures...

so what's the deal?

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 22 2005, 03:03 PM']I've heard it said that men become homosexuals because they lack a father-figure.

I've heard it said that women become homosexuals because of a lack of father-figures...

so what's the deal?
[right][snapback]767336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think there's one specific thing that effects a personal disorder. In the case of homosexuality, it's true that male affirmation, or the lack thereof, is a frequent cause. But I don't think it's necessarily the only one.

Edited by Era Might

photosynthesis

I could see the lack of a "father-figure" leading to homosexuality in men.

but wouldn't the lack of a 'mother-figure" lead to homosexuality in women, and not lack of a male figure?

It's been said, but I'll say it again. I don't think it's possible to strictly inherit homosexuality. It's not as simple as hair color or a widow's peak. I also really highly doubt it's completely about environment too. In all honestly I don't think we'll every know what causes it because any experiment would be unethical.

Wether it is or not, is inconsequential to it being right or wrong.

The only thing that can be helped from knowing its inheritence source (if any) is perhaps treatment for those who suffer from SSA.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 22 2005, 12:38 PM']Homosexuality is "inherited" the same way alcoholism is "inherited". There is no alcoholism gene. If you grow up in an alcoholic environment, and it impacts your psychological development, there's a very good chance you will become an alcoholic. In the same way, if something impacts your psycho-sexual development (eg, the lack of a male role model), you may very well develop a disordered sexual appetite.

The key here is that you can repair the damage done, at least to a certain extent. You may not be able to undo it completely, but you can bring it into subjection. Ask any recovering alcoholic or sexual addict.
[right][snapback]767288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ok except that Alcoholism is hereditary. You can be genetically predispositioned to addiction. It is not just simply environment.

homosexuality is a life-style and so it is a choice; attraction to individuals of the same sex, like any attraction, is morally neutral....