An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modernist?

Cam42

So, who thinks that I am a modernist?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You obviously do not adhere to the binding douments of Pope Saint Pius V, you deny the teachings of Bl. Pope Pius IX and St. Pius X...

yep, modernist.

for you, truth changes with time- if E.E.N.S. and serious destruction of the liturgy can change, which are truth... that would be modernism.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Oct 21 2005, 11:19 PM']You obviously do not adhere to the binding douments of Pope Saint Pius V, you deny the teachings of Bl. Pope Pius IX and St. Pius X...

yep, modernist.

for you, truth changes with time- if E.E.N.S. and serious destruction of the liturgy can change, which are truth... that would be modernism.
[right][snapback]766909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

We Catholics do not believe that the truth changes with time -- you just think we do! Did it ever occur to you that maybe you don't really have the truth -- that you just think you do? You can't have the truth when you place yourself outside the Church!

Kilroy the Ninja

I wonder if LittleLes was a "modernist"?

hmmmmmmmmm

sorry.

Carry on with your previously scheduled (sort of) debate.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Oct 21 2005, 11:19 PM']You obviously do not adhere to the binding douments of Pope Saint Pius V, you deny the teachings of Bl. Pope Pius IX and St. Pius X...

yep, modernist.

[right][snapback]766909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Would you care to qualify that? I believe that I have always supported EENS. I would like to have you PROVE to me that I don't find the documents of Pope St. Pius V to be valid. What teachings of Bl. Pope Pius IX and Pope St. Pius X do I deny? I would also like you to show me where I have not supported EENS.

(Even Sam can't say that about me.)

Nope, I'm still orthodox.

For me, the Truth does not change, however, our understanding of said Truth MAY change. You have to prove to me that I am a Modernist.....sorry, brendan, you are doing a lousy job of proving your sickly point.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just curious. :) How much have you studied...I believe you said you have a philosophy degree, so I was curious what all you studied with it.

By the way, I think most people hold some modernist beliefs without realizing it, but that's just me. :idontknow:

The crux heresy of modernism is the belief in all things new and modern at the expense of all things old and traditional. So saying most people hold modernist beliefs without realizing it may or may not be true, they may hold modern beliefs in the sense of the word "modern" being current or new, but modern[i]ist[/i] beliefs are quite another story indeed.

I don't believe I hold any modern[i]ist[/i] beliefs... care to test out your theory on me? :D:

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 19 2005, 11:32 PM']I just want to see why people think me to be a modernist.....
[right][snapback]764500[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Did someone actually call you one?

Since I am somewhat ignorant on the topic I decided to look up some information from our friends at New Advent and found this:

[quote]The spirit of this plan of reform may be summarized under the following heads:

A spirit of complete emancipation, tending to weaken ecclesiastical authority; the emancipation of science, which must traverse every field of investigation without fear of conflict with the Church; the emancipation of the State, which should never be hampered by religious authority; the emancipation of the private conscience whose inspirations must not be overridden by papal definitions or anathemas; the emancipation of the universal conscience, with which the Church should be ever in agreement;
A spirit of movement and change, with an inclination to a sweeping form of evolution such as abhors anything fixed and stationary;
A spirit of reconciliation among all men through the feelings of the heart. Many and varied also are the modernist dreams of an understanding between the different Christian religions, nay, even between religion and a species of atheism, and all on a basis of agreement that must be superior to mere doctrinal differences.
Such are the fundamental tendencies. As such, they seek to explain, justify, and strengthen themselves in an error, to which therefore one might give the name of "essential" modernism. What is this error? It is nothing less than the perversion of dogma. Manifold are the degrees and shades of modernist doctrine on the question of our relations with God. But no real modernist keeps the Catholic notions of dogma intact
[/quote]Does this descrive Cam? I think not.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:25 AM']I'm just curious.  :)  How much have you studied...I believe you said you have a philosophy degree, so I was curious what all you studied with it.

By the way, I think most people hold some modernist beliefs without realizing it, but that's just me.  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]783401[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I also have a degree in theology and Catholic Studies. I have spent many hours studying heresy. I can tell you I am not a Modernist. I do not hold any Modernist belief. Sorry to disappoint.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Nov 9 2005, 09:13 AM']I also have a degree in theology and Catholic Studies.  I have spent many hours studying heresy.  I can tell you I am not a Modernist.  I do not hold any Modernist belief.  Sorry to disappoint.
[right][snapback]783645[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Cam, I'm not trying to call you a modernist...:idontknow:

I'm just curious what all you've studied in it. :)