An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modernist?

Cam42

So, who thinks that I am a modernist?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 20 2005, 05:59 PM']Actually,  the definitions go like this.....

Traditional, one who is sympathetic to the Tridentine Mass

orthodox (as opposed to Orthodox), a faithful Catholic who adheres to right reason and all the teachings of the Church, past and present.

Modernist, one who ascribes to the Modernist heresy as defined by Pope St. Pius X.
[right][snapback]765348[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Those are your definitions :) but if you look a the little catholic dictionary I linked the first definition of orthodox is the church, not the faithfulness of the catholic concerned. Sometimes we must start with what would be common to the people reading the post, not what we know to be the technical and more correct wording.When you post a poll its best to start with definition or examples of what you specifically mean. :D:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 21 2005, 08:55 AM']Those are your definitions :) but if you look a the little catholic dictionary I linked the first definition of orthodox is the church, not the faithfulness of the catholic concerned. Sometimes we must  start with what would be common to the people reading the post, not what we know to be the technical and more correct wording.When you post a poll its best to start with definition or examples of what you specifically mean. :D:
[right][snapback]765869[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ummmm.....CMom?

[quote]ORTHODOXY. [b]Right belief as compared with heterodoxy or heresy.[/b] The term is used in the East to identify those churches (not united with Rome) which accepted the ancient councils, notably Ephesus and Chalcedon, and which call themselves “the holy, orthodox, catholic, Eastern Church.” [b]In the West the word is sometimes used to describe a justifiable concern for sound doctrine in the Catholic faith.[/b] (Etym. Greek orthos, right + doksa, opinion: orthodoksa, having the right opinion.)[/quote]

[url="http://www.therealpresence.org/cgi-bin/getdefinition.pl"]This is the definition[/url] from your pocket dictionary.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:57 AM']so read the second line Cam :D:
[right][snapback]765902[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I did....that is why I wrote:

[quote][i]orthodox (as opposed to Orthodox),[/i] a faithful Catholic who adheres to right reason and all the teachings of the Church, past and present.[/quote]

Perhaps you missed that part??????? :idontknow:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:06 AM']The term is used in the East to identify those churches (not united with Rome)
[right][snapback]765907[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hence; the little "o" v. the big "O"

But, the numbers are as I thought they would be....actually, I started the poll to find out WHY some thought I was a modernist......however, they choose not to post on this thread, so I assume they are simply full of hot air.......not a new concept for those who don't understand what that particular heresy is all about.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 20 2005, 05:00 PM']Cezanne doesn't even get a chuckle?

Harumph <_<
[right][snapback]765350[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry!

I actually did laugh out loud, but I didn't get around to posting a reply.

(Cam.... Modernist... still gives me giggles, and I only know him from here!)

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Oct 21 2005, 06:23 PM']There is a choice left off in the poll.....
"I refuse to speculate"

;)
[right][snapback]766702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nope.....I want a response. I don't want a cop out.....I want the truth.

And the reasons why......

Orthodox - well if that counts for the present teaching of the Novus Ordo church... hmmm.

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:51 PM']Orthodox - well if that counts for the present teaching of the Novus Ordo church... hmmm.
[right][snapback]766894[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It actually counts for teaching of the Catholic Church.....you know, the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. The one founded by Jesus Christ and has had an uninterupted pontificate since St. Peter.

So, why, brendan, praytell, am I a modernist? What are your reasons for calling me a heretic?

Cam is such a modernist. He's so modern. I mean, if he was any more modern he'd be futuristic, and that's just stupid. Cam is totally modernist all the way.

:pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly: