An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion Activities

CatholicWarrior

What do you do during and before Communion?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CatholicWarrior

I'm honestly curious what's being taught and practiced around the Church. I was raised to kneel in respect for the Blessed Sacrament and then make the Sign of the Cross after receiving Communion.

At my parish, though, 90% of the parishioners sit as soon as they say, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive You but only say the Word and I shall be healed." Less than half make the Sign of the Cross after receiving Communion.

What do you do?

Welcome!

I would suggest, though, that you separate this into two polls.

It will be very hard to get an accurate response because there are so many and varied answers here.

I kneel or sit before (kinda depends what the congregation is doing) and I make a profound bow before recieving Our Lord.

Welcome! :bye:
I kneel or sit(depending on what my parents do) befor I go to Comunnion. then I kneel befor I recive, make the sign of the cross after, go and pray. :)

CatholicWarrior

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Oct 17 2005, 12:09 AM']Welcome!

I would suggest, though, that you separate this into two polls.

It will be very hard to get an accurate response because there are so many and varied answers here.

I kneel or sit before (kinda depends what the congregation is doing) and I make a profound bow before recieving Our Lord.
[right][snapback]760779[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for the Welcome! I've actually been spending my time trolling the anti-Catholic message boards on other sites and found myself using information from this forum as ammunition in my defense of the Faith. I then found myself actually wanting to ask questions and respond.

I apologize if my poll is badly formatted. This forum uses somewhat different software than what I've been finding in other places.

photosynthesis

I usually make a slight bow when I am in line for communion, and then recieve, then make the sign of the cross.

I'm not sure why anyone would sit before communion... that seems absurd to me. these people are probably the same ones leaving Mass before the priest...

CatholicWarrior

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 01:47 AM']I usually make a slight bow when I am in line for communion, and then recieve, then make the sign of the cross.

I'm not sure why anyone would sit before communion... that seems absurd to me.  these people are probably the same ones leaving Mass before the priest...
[right][snapback]760903[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

DING! DING! DING!

You ARE A WINNER!

Yep. There is widespread departure after Communion. Most people simply take up their personal effects and carry them with them to Communion. My Church is actually standing room only during the Liturgy of the Word -- but it's quite easy to find a space after Communion.

Sad...

photosynthesis

[quote name='CatholicWarrior' date='Oct 17 2005, 02:01 AM']DING! DING! DING! 

You ARE A WINNER!

Yep.  There is widespread departure after Communion.  Most people simply take up their personal effects and carry them with them to Communion.  My Church is actually standing room only during the Liturgy of the Word -- but it's quite easy to find a space after Communion.

Sad...
[right][snapback]760918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
it happens so much on Christmas and Easter too.. all those darn Creasters....

Fortunately, it never happens during Mass on campus. People always stay until the last verse of the closing hymn :)

CatholicWarrior

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 02:24 AM']it happens so much on Christmas and Easter too..  all those darn Creasters....

Fortunately, it never happens during Mass on campus.  People always stay until the last verse of the closing hymn :)
[right][snapback]760938[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wow, that's great! I only wish we had that in a larger percentage at my parish. We have a hardcore group of about 500 people who are very active (this is a massive parish - the sanctuary seats over 1000 and we have six Mass services each weekend), but there are a great number of drive-by and test drive Catholics who attend. My city is probably 60+% Catholic, so there are a lot of parishes from which to choose.

My family did the same - we parish-shopped for about six months, as we had three within about 5 minutes of our house. Regardless, we still were respectful of the Mass.

CatholicWarrior

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 02:31 AM']what city?
[right][snapback]760942[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

San Antonio

I kneel until rising to join the line for communion, make the sign of the cross after receiving, then kneel immediately after returning to my pew.