An Old School Catholic Message Board

changing rites

dairygirl4u2c

Is it wrong to join another rite in the CC simply to be able to be a married priest and/or something like that?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:01 AM']i don’t have a problem attending Mass in a different rite - as long as it is communion with the Pope
there are Episcopalian and Anglican priests "coming home" to the Church all the time - some of them married, so exception is made
and i love going to Mass at a local Eastern Rite Ukrainian Church - in union with the Church
amazing - is all i can say
[right][snapback]763324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
only the Latin Rite calls it Mass ;)

you like their Divine Liturgies ;) :P:

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 16 2005, 08:44 PM']you should only change rites if your entire theological and ritualistic point of view has shifted.
[right][snapback]760670[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I thought that one of the things about the Catholic Church was the you don't have shifts in theological views the way that Protestants do. I am confused. Isn't there like a standard Catholic theology that won't shift? How then can there be a shift? I don't understand.

doctrine, official teaching, is always the same.

however, there are different points of view from which to approach that doctrine and different ways of expressing that doctrine.

but ultimately, we all believe the same thing. the differences in protestant doctrines and ours are like apples and oranges... the difference in theological viewpoints between east and west are like big apples and small apples; green apples and red apples.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:41 AM']doctrine, official teaching, is always the same.

however, there are different points of view from which to approach that doctrine and different ways of expressing that doctrine. 

but ultimately, we all believe the same thing.  the differences in protestant doctrines and ours are like apples and oranges... the difference in theological viewpoints between east and west are like big apples and small apples; green apples and red apples.
[right][snapback]763497[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Can you give me some examples of theological points of view that might shift? This is a rather new concept for me.

in an eastern catholic church at the confessionals you might find an examination of conscience based on the beatitudes. at a roman church you're more likely to find one based on the ten commandments. ultimately, it's both the same thing. but one is asking "did I do this, did I do this?" and the other is asking "did I not do this, did I not do this?"

easterners view marriage as something the priest does to the couple. the roman church views marriage as something the couple does to each other while the priest accepts that into the church.

then there's the infamous filioque fiasco in the creed that was the straw that broke the camel's back in the Great Schism. in viewing the Trinity, the easterners liked the formula that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father in that His person originates solely in the Father. the roman church added to the creed the phrase (referring to the Holy Spirit) "proceeds from the Father [i]and the Son (filioque)[/i]". Ultimately when pressed we both understand that in the the Holy Spirit proceeds solely from the Father theologically (in the inner workings of the Trinity), but in the economy (dealings of God and man) of salvation the Holy Spirit proceeds towards man from both the Father and the Son so there's two ways of emphasizing, either the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father alone or the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. easterners focus on one way, romans on another.

It shouldn't be normal, but Eddie Doherty was given permission to switch rites and be ordained. He and Cathrine had already decided (a while before) not to live as husband and wife.

• 4 years later...
Ephrem Augustine

I had often asked how cool it would be to be bi-ritual, because of some of the beautiful and amazing liturgies that I have attended of the eastern rite. I have stopped short, because, it would take some time and growth for me to have a real interior sense of such a beautiful expression of faith. And I am not just talking about aesthetics and details that differ, I am talking about becoming part of the awesome and amazing ancient apostolic tradition, and those things just dont happen magically after a couple years.
Besides most Bi-ritual priests that I know tend to have grown up in that tradition. I did not.

God Conquers

[quote name='kamiller42' date='30 April 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1272603697' post='2102531']
Being "bi" is a mortal sin.
[/quote]

You beat me to that joke.

• 3 weeks later...
brightsadness

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='18 October 2005 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1129699534' post='763365']
is it possible to go to an Eastern rite church and follow Eastern Rite devotions without becomign Eastern rite?
[/quote]

absolutely

• 2 weeks later...

Q: I heard that Eastern Rite Catholics don't agree with NFP but have a marriage "fast" built into thier calendar?

and another Q: Do the different Eastern Rites have differences amoung themselves?