An Old School Catholic Message Board

Concelebration

God Conquers

Can someone explain this to me?

A friend of mine, very traditional but non-schismatic, said he prefers the tridentine rite mass because he says concelebration outside very specific instances is a liturgical abuse.

I have very little info to make a judgement or refute this....

What's the deal?

I never quite liked the idea of concelebration... maybe it's antiquarian of me but it feels like a big break from the way the mass was since the very beginning...

now, I don't know what the rules for concelebration are so I wouldn't be able to sight a concelebration abuse if I saw one.

it seems to me that only one priest is necessary and anything more is just weird and confusing. At the last supper, Jesus was the only celebrant. it just seems unnecessary to make a bunch of priests do it at the same time. perhaps someone could explain some sort of reasoning to it?

[quote]I never quite liked the idea of concelebration... maybe it's antiquarian of me but it feels like a big break from the way the mass was since the very beginning...[/quote]

Not at all.

[quote]Concelebration is the rite by which several priests say Mass together, all consecrating the same bread and wine. It was once common in both East and West. As late as the ninth century priests stood around their bishop and "consented to his sacrifice" (Corp. Jur. Can., Decr. Grat., Pars III, dist. I, cap. 59). The rite of Concelebration was modified at Rome (perhaps in the time of Pope Zephyrinus, 202-218) so that each priest should consecrate a separate host (the deacons holding these in patens or corporals); but they all consecrated the same chalice ("Ordo Rom. I", 48; see also Dechusne, "Liber Pont.", I, 139 and 246). In the sixth century this rite was observed on all station days; by the eighth century it remained only for the greatest feasts, Easter, Christmas, Whitsunday, and St. Peter ("Ordo Rom. I", 48; Duchesne, "Origines", 167). On other days the priests assisted but did not concelebrate. Innocent III (1198-1216) says that in his time the cardinals concelebrate with the pope on certain feasts (De Saer. Altar. Myst. in Migne, P.L., CCXVII, IV, 25). Durandus, who denied the possibility of such a rite (Rationale Div. Off., IV, d. xiii, q. 3) is refuted by Cardinal Bona (Rer. Liturg., I, xviii, 9). St. Thomas defends its theological correctness (Summa Theol., III:82:2). Concelebration is still common in all the Eastern Churches both Catholic and [Eastern Orthodox]. In these, on any greater feast day, the bishop says the holy liturgy surrounded by his priests, who consecrate with him and receive Holy Communion from him, of course under both kinds. So also, at any time, if several priests wish to celebrate on the same day, they may do so together.

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04190a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04190a.htm[/url][/quote]

Edited by Era Might

homeschoolmom

Okay... I've always wondered this... let's say that a preist is visiting for his niece's first communion in a different diocese... Does he concelebrate? Does he have to show an id card? :idontknow:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Oct 16 2005, 05:49 PM']Okay... I've always wondered this... let's say that a preist is visiting for his niece's first communion in a different diocese... Does he concelebrate? Does he have to show an id card? :idontknow:
[right][snapback]760438[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He would have to contact the local Bishop beforehand, and obtain his permission to celebrate Mass in his diocese.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 16 2005, 04:51 PM']He would have to contact the local Bishop beforehand, and obtain his permission to celebrate Mass in his diocese.
[right][snapback]760440[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So, then if he didn't, would he just attend like everyone else?

Yep. I'm sure he would get that all ironed out beforehand, and make sure the Pastor of the parish is aware of everything.

I think Priests have papers that they have to carry with them, to identify themselves as authentic Priests.

concelebration is prefered over 'private masses'. That's why our churches don't have 'side altars' where several other priests all say private masses any longer. I suggest reading Mediator Dei and Sacrosantum Concilium

He would be there in the pews, supporting his niece and the rest of the first communicants.

Concelebration can be abused. Ideally, priests who celebrate Mass at a parish/community are those who have a tie to said community. After all, they are the shepherds--the pastors-- of that community in a unique way (in quite a different way from visiting priests).

Concelebration would only be an abuse for Tridentine Masses. It's perfectly ok for Novus Ordo Masses, though. If something is allowed by the Church then it can't very well be considered an abuse.

as was stated it was a common practice in the early Church that was brought back with the Second Vatican Council. With all things, prudence is required; concelebration done in an extreme manner --as in ALL of the time -- can lead to a misunderstanding or confusion amongst the faithful. If we were to take Scripture one could infer that at the Institution of the Holy EUcharist, the Apostles, being the first bishops, gave their "consent" to the Consecration of Christ -- that could be used as an image of concelebration, to a certain extent (NOTE: I DO NOT PURPORT THIS TO BE AN OFFICIAL INTERPRETATION, BUT I OFFER THIS AS A POSSIBLE ACCOUNT; FURTHERMORE, IF WHAT I OFFERED AS A POSSIBILITY HAS BEEN DEEMED ERRONEOUS BY HOLY MOTHER CHURCH, THEN I SUBMIT TO HER AUTHORITY AND RENOUNCE WHAT I HAVE JUST SAID).

Although concelebration certainly has its place, side altars rock. They were/are a great testament to popular piety. There was a long tradition of receiving communion at a particular side altar, in honor of the Saint there honored.

I think that a couple of you are actually mistaken. A priest need not receive explicit permission from the local ordinary to celebrate Mass in a diocese other than the one he is incardinated in. Perhaps this is what the policy is technically, but in practice it is never enforced. In fact, I think that the U.S. bishops have formally agreed to allow all priests to celebrate Mass and hear confessions in the Dioceses of the United States de facto, they need not receive explicit permission. For instance, when vocation directors from different dioceses visit our seminary, they will concelebrate at our seminary Mass. I'm certain the Archbishop doesn't issue special paperwork for each of them.

Furthermore, consider a priest who is traveling. A priest should, though he is not required to, offer Mass every day. If he is just passing through a diocese on vacation, it would be silly to expect him to call a chancery office, speak to the bishop, or whoever he would designate, and ask permission to celebrate Mass. A priest is a priest, regardless of what diocese you are from. This logically extends to religious priiests as well.

As for concelebrating in general, I see no problem with it. Almost every Mass that I go to anymore is concelebrated. At my home parish for instance, we are blessed to have three priests. They usually will all concelebrate the 7:00 a.m. Mass together. While it would be nice to have different Masses throughout the day to give people more options, this presents another problem of using to many EMHCs, which I'm certain many on here would oppose. The response would be to say that the other priests should come out and help distribute Communion during the other Masses of the day, however, this is simply not feasible sometimes. Like it or not, the reality is that priests do have other duties to attend to, like running a parish, visiting the sick, teaching, etc.

So, I really don't see a problem with priests concelebrating. Watch a papal Mass sometime and see how many priests concelebrate.

Edited by JP2Iloveyou