An Old School Catholic Message Board

our interactions with Homosexuals in our community

dspen2005

photosynthesis

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 17 2005, 03:20 PM']it's not a question of ignorance.  the comment did not require correction.  It was not presented as central or factual, it was merely a cheeky little side comment which is considerably less funny now that we have discussed it and given it weight it was never meant to hold.
[right][snapback]761407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
if you know something to be true (that homosexuality is not associated with GID), then why would you say something that would contradict what you know to be true?

I have several friends who struggle with gender identity disorder, and it is a HUGE cross to bear. perpetuating ignorance about mental illness only makes it worse for those who suffer from it.

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Oct 17 2005, 04:18 PM']I think that was uncalled for... and uncharitable.  The comment made my toledo_jesus was tongue-in-cheek, I would presume.  It was obvious that it didn't hold merit within the context of the discussion -- it was an IA, intellectual aside.  Now, since you are being corrected, is that a sign of your own ignorance?
[right][snapback]761469[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Corrected for what? Last time I checked, it was not wrong or uncharitable to take people seriously and correct them when they are wrong.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:14 AM']When I was little I always heard people throwing around the word "gay," but I didn't even know what the word it meant until I was 10 or 11.  I have an uncle who is a practicing homosexual, and he always brought boyfriends to the house.  While I always percieved him and his boyfriend as somewhat different than other adults who were married, I didn't know they were gay until my mom gave me a "talk" about it.

My sexuality was perfectly normal until I got raped.  I never was a "tomboy" or anything like that.  I played with dolls, loved pink, and never got called gay or lesbian.

Kids get made fun of for all kinds of reasons.  The main reason why I got made fun of was that I wore glasses (been wearing them since i was an infant).  Some kids get made fun of because they wear geeky clothes or because of their ethnicity.

so, in short, kids are very perceptive to difference, and tend to treat ANY kind of difference as something wrong and disordered, even if it's just wearing glasses or having an accent.
that's not homosexuality, that's gender identity disorder, a different problem altogether.  gender identity disorder has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.

in the past it has been fashionable for men to wear things like togas, tunics, kilts and other dresses.  You can call it whatever you want, but it's a dress.  a rather masculine dress, but still a dress.
[right][snapback]761031[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]Thank you[/b] for your contribution to this thread.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:33 AM']Strangely enough, Jesus never talked about homosexuality. 

However the Church does.  But I don't recall where the Church has declared it to be a mortal sin not to reprimand the homosexual.  Care to elaborate? 

Also
maggots?
[right][snapback]760992[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Y'all should ignore that "Catholic Fanatic" dude. As I've said elsewhere, I think he's a joker mocking "Traditional Catholicism" for his own amusement.

On the other hand, hot stuff, Christ does tell us to admonish the sinner, and failure to do so when needed can be considered a sin of neglect.
Homosexuality is indeed a serious sin, and Catholics need to speak with truth on this, rather than pretending homosexuality is a-ok.

The "gay-rights" crowd likes to harp on how Jesus never mentioned homosexuality blah, blah, blah. This is because Christ preached to the Jews, who already regarded homosexuality as an abominable crime and sin against God. To preach about it would have been redundant "preaching to the choir." Jesus' silence gives consent.

St. Paul, preaching to the Gentiles, did soundly condemn this sin on several occasions.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:14 AM']in the past it has been fashionable for men to wear things like togas, tunics, kilts and other dresses.  You can call it whatever you want, but it's a dress.  a rather masculine dress, but still a dress.
[right][snapback]761031[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is the dumbest argument for cross-dressing (which somehow keeps getting thrown around in phatmass).
Tunics, kilts, togas, etc. are NOT dresses. These articles of clothing were considered masculine in their time and place, and were not imitations of women's clothes, which were different.

Though we all love to joke about it, a medieval Scotsman wearing a kilt has nothing to do with a modern transvestite dressing up in female clothes.
People on here often seem desperate to try to "normalize" deviant behavior as acceptable.

photosynthesis

I'm not saying it's acceptable for a man to wear a dress nowadays. but in other times and places, skirts have been part of men's fashions. There isn't anything about a skirt that makes it inherently masculine or feminine. fashion is socially constructed and while there have always been DIFFERENCES between men's and women's clothes, what is considered masculine and feminine *in clothing* has changed.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 07:29 PM']I'm not saying it's acceptable for a man to wear a dress nowadays.  but in other times and places, skirts have been part of men's fashions.  There isn't anything about a skirt that makes it inherently masculine or feminine.  fashion is socially constructed and while there have always been DIFFERENCES between men's and women's clothes, what is considered masculine and feminine *in clothing* has changed.
[right][snapback]761739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Female clothes have always been designed to show off female beauty. One would never consider an elegant female dress from any period masculine or fitting clothing for men. To say these things are entirely subjective is politically correct nonsense.

Ora et Labora

My friend asked a question...Which is worse, to be a roomate at college with a gay guy or a guy thats not gay?

I said a homosexual because some people can say its okay if you hang with them as long as you dont follow them...you have free will but humans are weak and we can make it a habit and it might get to our heads. What do y'all think??

God bless,
Kristina

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:26 PM']Female clothes have always been designed to show off female beauty.  One would never consider an elegant female dress from any period masculine or fitting clothing for men.  To say these things are entirely subjective is politically correct nonsense.
[right][snapback]761790[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
blah blah blah! :offtopic:

photo, I already explained what I said. Some of us don't give one hoot about the finer distinctions between deviant behaviors. IN fact, some of us like to joke about them because they can be ridiculous.

BLAHBLAHBLAH yak yak yak, let's get this topic back on track.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Oct 17 2005, 08:31 PM']My friend asked a question...Which is worse, to be a roomate at college with a gay guy or a guy thats not gay?

I said a homosexual because some people can say its okay if you hang with them as long as you dont follow them...you have free will but humans are weak and we can make it a habit and it might get to our heads. What do y'all think??

God bless,
Kristina
[right][snapback]761799[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm presuming this friend is a girl? (otherwise the question wouldn't make much sense as a moral dillemna).
This whole issue of "gays" rooming with females has been debated extensively before. (I'm definitely against it.)

I would say rooming with either would be a very bad idea.
Allowing the "gay" to room with girls would help give support to and legitimize his homosexual identity and have him identify himself as a "gay" rather than simply as a man. It could also create sexual tension for the woman. However, it's dubious that this would "turn her gay" if this what you are implying.

And rooming with a straight guy would present an occasion of sin for both parties (unless they are married).

photosynthesis

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:31 PM']My friend asked a question...Which is worse, to be a roomate at college with a gay guy or a guy thats not gay?

[right][snapback]761799[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
follow them? like stalking them? what? OK, that's just creepy. If my roommate started following me around campus I'd get a restraining order.

what kind of habits are you talking about? like the temptation to engage in homosexuality? If this is a serious issue for you, then no, it's not OK to be roommates with someone else who struggles with this.

To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about. Usually in considering potential roommates I tend to look for someone who cleans up after themselves and doesn't smell bad.

photosynthesis

OH. now I see what Ora Et Labora is talking about.

Cohabitating with the opposite sex is not acceptable, regardless of their sexual orientation. Even if he is celibate, it is still a potential for scandal.

Ora et Labora

okay...so you can help that in college, right? yes, my friend is a girl. and i meen not stalking them..but folowing there habits. i would say niether but this was a pick one question.

would your way of thinking change...not like you yourself would become gay, but, your ideas on the matter?

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:19 PM'] Even if he is celibate, it is still a potential for scandal.
[right][snapback]761881[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is this the new litmus test for morality? Grandma makes an OH! face, clucks her tongue & mutters "Shame, shame shame!" ?

Potential for scandal?