An Old School Catholic Message Board

choosing not to be catholic

dairygirl4u2c

If one were to read everything here on phatmass, and that person chose not to be Catholic, is that person being unreasonable?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 years later...
dairygirl4u2c

Resurrexi and Knight said it is never reasonable to deny the truth. so why is it that so many on here said that it would be reasonable for people to not be catholic after reading everything here? do most of these people see think there's shades of uncertainty that would give crediblity to someone who chose not to be catholic?

i was surprised that most said it wouldnt be unreasonable but that's probably because i simply come to these boards with the idea that everyone is combative etc, when the truth is only those choosing to combat are the ones i interact w, and the rest usually keep more silent

Anastasia13

Resurrexi and Knight said it is never reasonable to deny the truth. so why is it that so many on here said that it would be reasonable for people to not be catholic after reading everything here? do most of these people see think there's shades of uncertainty that would give crediblity to someone who chose not to be catholic?

i was surprised that most said it wouldnt be unreasonable but that's probably because i simply come to these boards with the idea that everyone is combative etc, when the truth is only those choosing to combat are the ones i interact w, and the rest usually keep more silent

This is a tricky question because it has two issues in it: 1. Does the person reasonably accept the learning about the Church that he/she has gained?

If you follow truth about God as best you know how, then you should not worry about your soul, Catholic or not, but keep humbly seeking and searching for God and his truth. If you do not do that, then you endanger your soul.

2. Is the discussion on the forum enough show the person the truth about Catholicism?

It was noted earlier in this thread that sometimes people need to experience God in a different way than merely intellectually.  Has that person had that opportunity and rejected it?  We do not necessarily know.

It is not our place now to judge souls, only actions, and seek our own salvation with respect for the Almighty and the eternal. Whether or not it is reasonable, we should pray for all those who seek God that they may grow in the knowledge of love of our Lord and be saved.