An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gambling

Jesuspaidtheprice

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:28 AM']Best thing to say is [b]"May Christ be with you"[/b].
[right][snapback]758305[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Or [b]"May the Force be with you"[/b], Lord Vader.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Oct 14 2005, 02:51 PM']Or [b]"May the Force be with you"[/b], Lord Vader.
[right][snapback]758525[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 12 2005, 07:14 AM']To me, there was an implicit rejection of gambling when the Roman soldiers cast lots for Jesus' garments.
[/quote]
The first thing I thought about was Matthias.

And they appointed two, Joseph, called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And praying, they said: Thou, Lord, who knowest the heart of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, To take the place of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas hath by transgression fallen, that he might go to his own place. And they gave them lot, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles. Acts 1:23-26

Sure, they were not casting lots for money. Money seems so trivial compared to a bishopric.

Jesuspaidtheprice

Sorry for having taken up your time. I've decided I'm right where i need to be. I've found some folks at "Call to Action" who are helpful with what Catholics are all about. God be with you on your journey!

JPTP

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 16 2005, 02:49 PM']Sorry for having taken up your time. I've decided I'm right where i need to be. I've found some folks at "Call to Action" who are helpful with what Catholics are all about. God be with you on your journey!

JPTP
[right][snapback]760342[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can not be serious... :ohno:

You know as well as all of us that CTA does not teach what the magisterium teaches at all.

In some dioceses the group has been excommunicated.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 12 2005, 09:49 AM']You know, I've lost more with my current stock that I own than I have gambling.
[right][snapback]755158[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ditto.

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Oct 16 2005, 04:01 PM']You know as well as all of us that CTA does not teach what the magisterium teaches at all.

[right][snapback]760347[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He does? Is he Catholic? I thought he was a non-Catholic. :idontknow:

Well, Call to Action is a fringe group with some serious anti-Catholic happenings; espeically like "Read the Bible, it's the most anti-Catholic book out there". Anyways, yes, don't go. Thess, it's not a matter of what you meant, it's a matter of what you seemed to have meant, and we should always try to come across in the best light possible, so it would be prudent to apologize, and explain your real intention.

Anyways, gambling. Well, I can agree, it's not much different from having a night out. Equally so, you don't want to have a night out every night, and day, and moment of your life, making it destructive. Same with gambling.

I should note, very few of the Saints indulged in worldly pleasure. So, be it gambling, or be it listening to an opera recital, they tended to have better uses for their money/time.

God bless,
Mikey

I certainly apologize for any offense. But I don't think it was me that made him leave. He seems to not want to have a frank an honest discussion about his questions. He apparently has a pre-concieved notion and CTA is supporting his notion. Oh well.

I'm so happy I found a way to sell play money on pokerstars, so I don't have to deposit any of my own money :) would be sweet if I could win some big tournament some day

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 16 2005, 03:49 PM']Sorry for having taken up your time. I've decided I'm right where i need to be. I've found some folks at "Call to Action" who are helpful with what Catholics are all about. God be with you on your journey!

JPTP
[right][snapback]760342[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The only problem is that you are asking people outside the Church to tell you what the Church teaches, not a great idea. :)