An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gambling

Jesuspaidtheprice

[quote name='jasJis' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:33 AM']What Catholic Church allows gambling?  I have NEVER seen or heard of gambling in a Church.

If you are talking about Bingo, that's hardly considered gambling, and it's not done in the Church, but the basement or social hall.  And most Bingo games don't make much money on the Bingo part, it's selling the cakes and snacks.  Bingo is also a social activity.  Where in the Bible does it say Bingo is bad?
[right][snapback]755379[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I know several churches that have Monte Carlo nights as fundraisers.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Wouldn't the ever popular fundraiser used by many churches, charity groups, and student clubs known as a raffle be considered gambling? I buy a ticket and win a prize if my ticket number is drawn.

Besides, I don't see how casting lots for Jesus's garments relates to gambling. They weren't betting on stuff that they had previously.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 12 2005, 08:14 AM']Now, I realize that gambling in itself may not be a sin, but it seems fruitless to use it as a means to raise money when it leads so many to sin in our society. Why do you allow gambling in your churches? To me, there was an implicit rejection of gambling when the Roman soldiers cast lots for Jesus' garments. There are so many other ways to raise money.
[right][snapback]755128[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Gluttony is a sin. Should we rule out bake sales as a means of raising money?

Jesuspaidtheprice

So many replies. Thank you. Though I certainly did not say gambling in all forms is sinful, and as I try not to put words in anyone’s mouth, I'd appreciate the same courtesy. thessalonian, it seems that you have a real angst with me asking questions here. Perhaps I’m coming across as attacking, I did not mean to. My questions may be best suited for another time and another place. I will try to come back in a few days and get a new start. This is been quite an overwhelming experience so far.

Hey, Jesuspaidtheprice, stick around. It beats arguing amongst ourselves. And we're not all full of 'angst' like thess, though I must admit, that's the first time I think he's been accused of being harsh. Some of us are much nicer, and some are much meaner. Also, we have experienced people 'attacking' us here. You did start 3 or 4 threads... If you really feel like you were called to visit us, then don't be put off so easily.

Well we did assume an awful lotta things from the man upfront, yelling and hootin' about stuff the poor dude didn't even bring up. Oh well. Didn't seem like he was particularly going after us cept maybe that first thread.

I think gambling is a waste of time and money myself. I get more out of watching movies. :idontknow:

playing a good game of texas hold 'em isn't a waste of time or money if you're with friends. especially if you spend no more than you'd spend on a night at the movies or something... it's well worth your small price it one person ends up with a big loot :D:

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:51 AM']So many replies. Thank you. Though I certainly did not say gambling in all forms is sinful, and as I try not to put words in anyone’s mouth, I'd appreciate the same courtesy. thessalonian, it seems that you have a real angst with me asking questions here. Perhaps I’m coming across as attacking, I did not mean to. My questions may be best suited for another time and another place. I will try to come back in a few days and get a new start. This is been quite an overwhelming experience so far.
[right][snapback]755405[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I do not think it is angst, but excitement. I can see that you truly care about dialoque and geniunely really want fruit from discussion. It is just that we have not had a person of your character in a while. :)

That being said, can you go into more detail on why you thing that the sodiers dividing the seemless garment is against gambling. Do any of the early Church Father's suggest this? Do any of the Reformers suggest this as well?

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' date='Oct 12 2005, 11:51 AM']So many replies. Thank you. Though I certainly did not say gambling in all forms is sinful, and as I try not to put words in anyone’s mouth, I'd appreciate the same courtesy. thessalonian, it seems that you have a real angst with me asking questions here. Perhaps I’m coming across as attacking, I did not mean to. My questions may be best suited for another time and another place. I will try to come back in a few days and get a new start. This is been quite an overwhelming experience so far.
[right][snapback]755405[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My style in answering non-catholics is very direct. I am sorry if you don't like it. That is just the way I am. I run in to so many non-catholics who already "know what we believe" that my expectations are not high in at the very least getting someone to see what the Catholic Church really does teach. I am sorry if my direct approach chased you away. It was not intended to. I am confident in what I believe.

I will pray for you while you are gone.

Blessings

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:04 PM']I will pray for you while you are gone.
[right][snapback]755849[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

fyi..no matter how sincerely you mean this, when ending a post where you are defending something you said, it smacks of arrogance. It's like you're trying to play some sort of holier-than-thou religious card....

Perhaps you can just pray for him & [i]not tell him[/i]. How's that for being a sneaky b@stard? Then, he can't, like...pray for you [i]and[/i] your mom & trump your prayer...

heh

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:16 PM']fyi..no matter how sincerely you mean this, when ending a post where you are defending something you said, it smacks of arrogance.  It's like you're trying to play some sort of holier-than-thou religious card....

Perhaps you can just pray for him & [i]not tell him[/i].  How's that for being a sneaky b@stard?  Then, he can't, like...pray for you [i]and[/i] your mom & trump your prayer...

heh
[right][snapback]755872[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well I suppose if that is the way you want to read it you will see me as arrogant no matter what I say. :yawn: To each his own. I'll pray for you too.

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:29 PM']Vedeci Vaca, I am praying for you and your mom, by the power of Nuestra Senora de Pilar.
[right][snapback]755899[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and I pray for you, your mom, [i]and[/i] your grandma, by the power of Senor Grayskull.

beat that, if you can.

Edited by Cow of Shame

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:55 PM']Well I suppose if that is the way you want to read it you will see me as arrogant no matter what I say. :yawn:  To each his own.  I'll pray for you too.
[right][snapback]755952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Riiiiight.

hahahahaha.

Unfortunately, the [b]"I'll pray for you"[/b] line is used too much as a holier-than-thou tactic. I'm not implying that [b]Thess[/b] intends this, but too many people use it for that purpose.

Best thing to say is [b]"May Christ be with you"[/b].