An Old School Catholic Message Board

Video Game Good... Bad...

Livin_the_MASS

Are Video Games evil?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Zelda or Final Fantasy anyone? I practically grew up on video games. I had the original nintendo, SNES, N64, and now i have a PS2. Don't have time to play very much except when i have company over, but it's good to play to get things off your mind or just for something to do. Maybe not bad for you, unless if you spend an excess amount of time playing them, like 10hrs a day or something rediculous like that. Personally i'd try to play like no more than 2 hrs every couple of days, when i actually have the time. lately it's like 2 every couple of weeks or once a month with school. Just don't let it interfere with your relationship with God or other priorities in life. It's all about balance. just make sure you at least put as much time with God as you do with your video games, if not more.

btw, anyone play Final Fantasy X? what's your take on the game? I've heard some people say it's like a commentary on religion. I haven't gotten that far into it, but i can't quite get over all the references to "sin" and "the Fayth". It's really wierd.

I liked Zelda a lot, but mostly I can only watch other people play; I don't have the coordination that video games like that (at least at times) require.

I loved all the Final Fantasies.... I think I started playing at IV. But I stopped a few years ago. The inability to save whenever I want is too demanding. I don't have that much control over my free time.

FF VII was absolute crack when I played it. I think I beat it in a week; a very sleep deprived week. I tried playing FF VIII, but it didn't have the same charm.

Heh, speaking of Final Fantasy, I loved the Final Fantasy movie, FF: The Spirits Within. Yeah, its cheesy, and the graphics aren't that great compared to what animators can do now, but I can't help but cry at the end. :sadder: :cry:

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 26 2005, 03:30 PM']I feel they are a waste of time. I prefer board games.
More opportunity to interact with friends.
Just overall a better social experience.
[right][snapback]771246[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can't get any more of an opportunity to interact with people than RPGs.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 26 2005, 03:30 PM']I feel they are a waste of time. I prefer board games.
More opportunity to interact with friends.
Just overall a better social experience.
[right][snapback]771246[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm reminded of Halo link-up parties. Those are great and sociable.

I'm also a fan of board games. Gimme Trivial Pursuit and my boyfriend as a partner, and we'll own anyone we're playing! Cranium is also fun, but always results in heated disputes on how far to follow the rules (those beaver dam Club Craniums!) The worst idea is to mix Trivial Pursuit with videogames. I once bought T.P. for computer for my Grandpa, and it was MULTIPLE CHOICE! :o Not even fun. But, I'm kind of going off topic. Oh, I forgot to mention Apples to Apples!

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:23 PM']FF VII was absolute crack when I played it. I think I beat it in a week; a very sleep deprived week.
[/quote]
speaking of ffVII, I'm dressing up as aeris for my newman center's halloween bonfire, and hope to cosplay her one day. can't wait for advent children to come out! :woot:

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 28 2005, 10:40 AM']I'm reminded of Halo link-up parties. Those are great and sociable.
[right][snapback]772836[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh yeah, there's nothing like blowing your friends to bits to get close. ;)

I like RTS games alot, because if there well made, then its more about using actual skills, strategies & tactics, rather than timing and just all out killing.

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 27 2005, 06:22 PM']I loved all the Final Fantasies.... I think I started playing at IV.  But I stopped a few years ago.  The inability to save whenever I want is too demanding.
[right][snapback]772247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I loved the Final Fantasies too! I had the same problem as you though. I don't have very much time for video games so not being able to save always frustrates me.

Gauntlet was one of my all time favorites as well. You can play with up to four people at a time, so it can definitely be something to do with friends.

I am ambivalent towards most video games. They can be fun, but the time factor is a big issue for me -- I just don't have time to really get good at something. And some games -- any racing game, for example -- give me vertigo.

I much prefer in-person interactive games. RPGs, some board games, some card games, etc.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 4 2005, 11:47 AM']I am ambivalent towards most video games. They can be fun, but the time factor is a big issue for me -- I just don't have time to really get good at something. And some games -- any racing game, for example -- give me vertigo.

I much prefer in-person interactive games. RPGs, some board games, some card games, etc.
[right][snapback]778687[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I :love: card games. There is nothing better than a bunch of people getting together for cards, drinking some beer or wine and having a great time.