An Old School Catholic Message Board

Video Game Good... Bad...

Livin_the_MASS

Are Video Games evil?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you know, I can't find a good quote site for those games...I might have to dig them out of the closet just to write out a list...

I also liked Sam'N'Max and Full Throttle by LucasArts. I miss those old LucasArts adventure games... I heard they were working on Full Throttle 2, but it got cancelled :(

But Gran Turismo, that is a labor of love...

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 12 2005, 12:12 AM']I just don't like them and especially despise this "halo" I always hear the people accross the hall playing... I don't know my moral opinion on them, just don't like em...
[right][snapback]754982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Dude you cannot say "halo" so contemptously without offending my honor. you give no reasons, and the only thing i can think of is that you officially stink at it :apu:

The Civilization Series is amazing...strategy at its finest if I do say so myself. I remember playing the original on my ol' pentium 1 100Mhz windows 3.1 computer...man 8-bit color at its finest right there...but seriously, great series.

The Baldur's Gate series was amazing as well...I think Cow of Shame would agree with me there. The storyline and roleplaying options were unbelievable and I can still go back to my old save games and go after the Shadow Dragon and Kangaxx and Mellisan whenever I want...ok...so I'm a loser...

Anway, asking whether a video game is evil is like asking if a box of french fries is evil. Intrinsically, no. But...if you're like my roomate and you spend more time each weekday playing halo2 than you do at class or studying or working...well then that's definitely NOT GOOD. But again, it's really up to the person playing whether they let it be a 'good' or 'bad' influence...

Gaming Forever! :P:

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 12 2005, 12:12 AM']I just don't like them and especially despise this "halo" I always hear the people accross the hall playing... I don't know my moral opinion on them, just don't like em...
[right][snapback]754982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Halo rules!

Aww crazy! Another Baldur's Gate avatar! I'm really tempted to change mine (even though I've only had my stapler one for a few days). Who should I change it to? Jan Jansen? :P:

[/QUOTE]Aww crazy! Another Baldur's Gate avatar! I'm really tempted to change mine (even though I've only had my stapler one for a few days). Who should I change it to? Jan Jansen?[QUOTE]

You wouldn't hurt a gnome...would you????

They are fun and cool to play, however, games that focus directly on Evil, and thats the fullness of the entire game, then they are harmful and evil.

For myself, I like most videogames, but I think that some of them, like all other types of media, are best not played. I like the Legend of Zelda series myself. Halo is also fairly fun.

One thing I would like to know, however, is opinion on role-playing games (this is the next logical leap, especially if we have people talking about Baldur's Gate.)

Video games should be dealt with in moderation, like any media. There are good video games and bad video games, just as there is good/bad movies, good/bad television, good/bad books, etc.

Now if a game is played with the knowledge that this is fiction and just something fun, then it is alright. For example, like it or not, Halo is a very popular game. And it's fun to just go around and shoot random things. Basicially, if a game like this is is perceived as just fiction, like any other media, then it is alright. I play a bunch of Nintendo games and DDR, and I've also played some RPGs and fighting games and such, nothing too horrible. It's just something I play once in awhile, not something I should obsess on all the time.

Now if a game pulls you away from your relationship with Christ, then that is a different matter. For example, people could play games in excession through the night and miss church just to play this game. Now I'm not saying anyone would do that, but you get my point. Then there are games such as the infamous Grand Theft Auto. While it allows to player to have pratty much "free will", this game promotes immoral behavior, including theft, murder, sex, cursing, hate, I don't even need to go on. (I'll admit I've played this game, but all I ever did was drive in the cars and bikes and rock to the radio.) Now while some people could argue it is just a game, a game with so much immorality could affect one's judgement, and lead to temptation.

When it comes to video games, or any media, there is a fine line. It's up to each individual person, but I prefer that people should try to not play games in excess and stay away from immoral content.

Or to put it like this: What should you put more focus on, your high score or Jesus Christ?

[quote name='Veridicus' date='Oct 14 2005, 09:18 AM']You wouldn't hurt a gnome...would you????
[right][snapback]758082[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Time for a bit o' the rough and tumble!

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:02 PM']Time for a bit o' the rough and tumble!
[right][snapback]761858[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_pound:

You guys are making me nostalgic! :sadder:

[quote name='SanctitasDeo' date='Oct 15 2005, 08:52 PM']One thing I would like to know, however, is opinion on role-playing games (this is the next logical leap, especially if we have people talking about Baldur's Gate.)
[right][snapback]759760[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Obviously I have no problem with RPGs, whether P&P or cRPGs.

"Feel the burning stare of my HAMSTER and change your ways!"

Edited by Cow of Shame

I feel they are a waste of time. I prefer board games.
More opportunity to interact with friends.
Just overall a better social experience.