An Old School Catholic Message Board

homosexuality vs. other sexual sins

photosynthesis

cmotherofpirl

I bopped you to get your logic circuits back in gear. :)

If one is mortal sin, the other must be as well.
Its ok, there are some things I don't understand but accept anyway too.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

On a different note, here's one for the good guys!

[url="http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives/archive-2005-sacrament_of_diversity.htm"]http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives/a...f_diversity.htm[/url]

This I firmly believe is an example to follow!

theculturewarrior

I think it depends. Sometimes the gravity of sexual sins is mitigated by pathology, and traumatic events can effect sexuality. Sometimes sex abuse victims or rape victims turn to homosexuality (or worse!). I think this is less grave than a curious college student or bored suburbanite. Sometimes mental illness can affect sexuality. I often wonder if homosexuality is more of a way people make sense out of themselves than a sexual orientation. It works that way with many mental illnesses, (no gawking please!), and this runs the gammet of sexual sins.

I'm not sure what the answer is. God judges hearts, not me. :)

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Oct 14 2005, 01:59 PM']I think it depends. Sometimes the gravity of sexual sins is mitigated by pathology, and traumatic events can effect sexuality. Sometimes sex abuse victims or rape victims turn to homosexuality (or worse!). I think this is less grave than a curious college student or bored suburbanite. Sometimes mental illness can affect sexuality. I often wonder if homosexuality is more of a way people make sense out of themselves than a sexual orientation. It works that way with many mental illnesses, (no gawking please!), and this runs the gammet of sexual sins.

I'm not sure what the answer is. God judges hearts, not me. :)
[right][snapback]758545[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While it is true only God can judge the individual soul, let us not become so "nonjudgmental" that we "explain away" every sin!

Nowadays nobody dares speak out against sin or call evil by its true name. This psycho-therapeutic "everybody's a victim" mentality has done untold damage in modern society. I heard at a speach on child-abuse that very few victims of sexual abuse go on to become abusers, though every child abuser, when arrested immeditately says he was "molested as a child." (in order to make himself seem a victim).

It becomes quite easy to blame others or "mental illness" for one's own sins or crimes. Excuses are easy. Responsibility is what is needed.

We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions, stop trying to explain away evil as "pathologies" in need of "healing," and get over the "victim mentality." Only then will we begin to make moral progress.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 14 2005, 06:39 PM']While it is true only God can judge the individual soul, let us not become so "nonjudgmental" that we "explain away" every sin!

Nowadays nobody dares speak out against sin or call evil by its true name.  This psycho-therapeutic "everybody's a victim" mentality has done untold damage in modern society.  I heard at a speach on child-abuse that very few victims of sexual abuse go on to become abusers, though every child abuser, when arrested immeditately says he was "molested as a child."  (in order to make himself seem a victim).

It becomes quite easy to blame others or "mental illness" for one's own sins or crimes.  Excuses are easy.  Responsibility is what is needed.

We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions, stop trying to explain away evil as "pathologies" in need of "healing," and get over the "victim mentality."  Only then will we begin to make moral progress.
[right][snapback]758853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:) I wasn't intending to excuse sexual sins, but there are mitigating factors. I think this is even in the Catechism. On the one hand, there's no "get out of jail free" card with God. We are sinners, and sins have consequences. On the other hand, there's no "one size fits all" justice. We're all different, we come from different backgrounds and have different biological makeups. That's why God judges hearts, and not us.

I'm reminded of the woman who was caught in adultery in the Gospel. Sin is to be condemned, but "let him who is without sin cast the first stone." BTW, regarding which sin I believe is the most serious, I would say "pimping," especially when it involves children.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 14 2005, 06:39 PM'] "mental illness" for one's own sins or crimes.  Excuses are easy.  Responsibility is what is needed.

We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions, stop trying to explain away evil as "pathologies" in need of "healing," and get over the "victim mentality."  Only then will we begin to make moral progress.
[right][snapback]758853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I read this a little more carefully. I don't think there's any shortage of people calling evil what it is, although terrorists in Iraq seem to be getting more attention than Planned Parenthood!

For a sin to be mortal, there are three requirements: Knowledge of the gravity of the sin, complete consent and an full act of the will (if I'm remembering this correctly from RCIA). People with mental illness sometimes cannot tell the difference between reality and their waking nightmares, so knowledge of the gravity of the sin is out for some. Some people with mental illnesses are troubled by delusional thoughts that they are God. How can you know how grave your sin is if you believe that you are God?

Sometimes mental illness comes with a surge of sexual energy. This is a documented phenomenon, and IIRC appears in the DSM-IV as symptomatic of certain disorders. This may contradict the will of the sinner. He or she may want nothing to do with it! If the event is accompanied by sexual sin, it involves an act of the will, sure, but is it an act of the will to the extent needed for a sin to be mortal?

As far as sexual predators are concerned, I do not know how many have been abused as children, and how many haven't. However, I'm somewhat of an "insider" in the mental health arena, and I know the abuse as a child can lead to deviant behavior as an adult. Some children are sexualized from an early age, and may become homosexuals or pedophiles or whatever as a result. I'm not sure what a priest would say in confession to somebody who had been abused seriously as a child and became an abuser as an adult. It happens, though! It's not something to be swept under the rug.

That said, pedophiles should be kept off of the streets forever.