An Old School Catholic Message Board

The earth groans in travail

thessalonian

"The earth groans in great travail"

Currently 20 Atlantic hurricantes, 1 short of record with 7 weeks to go
Worst Earthquake Disaster in Pakistan History
Worst drought in 60 years in Brazil, ongoing
[url="http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/10/10/brazil.amazon.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/10/...n.ap/index.html[/url]

1000 dead in South America from hurricane last week
New Orleans laid waste
Worst drought ever in Southern Europe, with fires
Worst flooding ever in Nothern Europe in both June and August
Worst 1 Day rain in India, 36 inches
Tsunamia on Dec 26, 2004
Worst flooding in the Northeast in 25 years

I'm sure I've left some out
I'll just leave it at that.

Kilroy the Ninja

you forgot that when last we saw them in action, hot stuff and Carrie and Don John sort of agreed on some things.

But I'd be more frightened if the Angels beat the Yankees and the Astros beat the Cardnials and we have an A/A world series....

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:55 AM']you forgot that when last we saw them in action, hot stuff and Carrie and Don John sort of agreed on some things.
But I'd be more frightened if the Angels beat the Yankees and the Astros beat the Cardnials and we have an A/A world series....
[right][snapback]753887[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No doudt that would give me a heart attack. Or the Vikings could win the Super Bowl. :ohno:

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Oct 11 2005, 05:30 AM']"The earth groans in great travail"
[right][snapback]753735[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I've been hearing people say this for 20 years.

So, either there is something going on, and it's really slow.

Or, this is business as usual, and we're just shocked because we have 24 hour a day, world wide news, and the news likes to focus on disasters.

photosynthesis

you could always be like [url="http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html"]these crazies[/url] and create your own tribulation-o-meter.

Its speculated by the scientific community that the increase in hurricanes is due to an increase in ocean temps by about 2 .3 degrees over the past 10 years due to global warming. An increase in the temperatures of oceanic currents affects literally every climate on earth. Greater temperature= greater potential energy to create a storm. Therefore, as scientists explain it, hurricanes are increasing in number and strength due to global warming.

-just a scientific viewpoint to accent the debate.

-Joe

[quote name='Duc_In_Altum' date='Oct 11 2005, 06:29 PM']Its speculated by the scientific community that the increase in hurricanes is due to an increase in ocean temps by about 2 .3 degrees over the past 10 years due to global warming. An increase in the temperatures of oceanic currents affects literally every climate on earth. Greater temperature= greater potential energy to create a storm. Therefore, as scientists explain it,  hurricanes are increasing in number and strength due to global warming.

-just a scientific viewpoint to accent the debate.

-Joe
[right][snapback]754445[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly the point. Aquinas and others linked the travails of nature to the sins of man. One such sin could well be greed which allows man to neglect the enviroment for financial gain. Though personally I don't know about global warming. Being in Minnesota however I am in favor of it if it is occuring.

However, geological occurances such as earthquakes and tsunamis cannot have any relation to global warming.

The earth has been warming for thousands of years. Otherwise, we would be stuck in the ice age.

it is not necessarily caused by man if it is occuring... we are generally way too arrogant thinking we could be having such an effect. it's more likely that natural workings of the earth if it is happening.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 11 2005, 07:04 PM']it is not necessarily caused by man if it is occuring... we are generally way too arrogant thinking we could be having such an effect.  it's more likely that natural workings of the earth if it is happening.
[right][snapback]754490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree that it is a possible theory. But being from Minnesota, I hope we can control the temperature outside. That would be nice about Jan 1 up here. :cool: