An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best Books about Nuns

zunshynn

graciandelamadrededios

Let Him Do It Life of Maravillas de Jesus, O.C.D.

by the Discalced Carmelites of Cerro de los Angeles and La Aldehuela, Spain

translated from Spanish to English by the Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Brooklyn, NY 1979

This is a very good book and it chronicles the foundations of Mother Maravillas of Jesus in Spain and India.

Does anyone remember the many books edited by Fr. George Kane, such as "Why I Entered the Convent"?  He had several about sisters, as well as one for priests, one for brothers, one for missionaries, and one about converts.  These are from the 1950s, but touching and varied stories.  And then there's the legendary "Bernie Becomes a Nun," about a woman who entered Maryknoll.  She was recently interviewed on ANunsLife.org--she's still in Maryknoll, and spent many years as a missionary in South America.  While some of what is in these books is a bit dated, obviously, the sentiments are quite good, and still fun to read.

A more recent book is the memoir of Mother Delores Hart, OSB, who went from Hollywood to Regina Laudis.  Very interesting!

Hi Nunsuch,

Thanks for taking me on a walk down memory lane!!!  I attended a catholic all-girl, college prep High School.  I had wanted to be a nun since 2nd grade, but in junior high that went away and I wanted to be other things.  In my 11th grade English class, we had to write research papers.  One day, we went to the library to do research and while looking for information, I discovered the book, Bernie Becomes a Nun.  After that, every time we went to the library, I read more of that book (because for obvious reasons I couldn't check it out).

That is the book that made me want to become a nun again, and it was a  very old book, although an OLD one!  I was sixteen then, and I have never stopped wanting to be a nun.

Hi Nunsuch....thank you so much for the link to the podcast with Sr. Bernie.  I had no idea that the book was actually based on a real person.  :hehe2: