An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best Books about Nuns

zunshynn

What are the best books about nuns that y'all have read. Most of the ones I've read are so heterodox... they make me want to gag.

I can't wait to read Mother Angelica!

By far, in my opion, it is "A Right to Be Merry" by Mother Mary Francis, PCC.

Another good one is "The Nun's Story" by... Kathleen something I believe.. can't remember the name :)

Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America by John Fialka

great book. lots of historical information about how nuns came to america. it also talks about the downfall after vatican II. the best part is the author talks about how some orthodox communities are growing like crazy while the liberal ones are falling apart.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Oct 7 2005, 07:42 PM']By far, in my opion, it is "A Right to Be Merry" by Mother Mary Francis, PCC.
[right][snapback]750028[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is definatly a very good book :) I loved it!
A book that I like that isn't specifically about nuns, but is very interesting is "The Habit: A History of the Blothing of Catholic Nuns" I forget who wrote it, but it is a very interesting book to read :)

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Oct 7 2005, 10:03 PM']Sisters: Catholic Nuns and the Making of America by John Fialka

great book.  lots of historical information about how nuns came to america.  it also talks about the downfall after vatican II.  the best part is the author talks about how some orthodox communities are growing like crazy while the liberal ones are falling apart.
[right][snapback]750064[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I second that. This book is very affordable if purchased on Amazon or half.com. It's a wonderful testament to the impact that sisters had on the development of America. Truly well-written, too.

"Amata means Beloved" by Sr. Mary Catherine, OP. A short novel written by a cloistered nun that really accurately describles cloistered life and one woman's experiences from postulancy to novitiate to solemn vows. I recommend it!

AlterDominicus

Speaking of Amata Means Beloved I told Sister Mary Catharine that I was starting to read it again for my 22ND time. Seriously its the truth I have read that, that many times.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:15 PM']Speaking of Amata Means Beloved I told Sister Mary Catharine that I was starting to read it again for my 22ND time. Seriously its the truth I have read that, that many times.
[right][snapback]751952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
And I thought I was bad reading it like seven times!!!! LOL!!! I'm actually giving my copy to a discerning friend (who is interested in Carmel, but shes interested a little bit in Dominicans - my fault! hehe)

photosynthesis

[quote name='msahara' date='Oct 8 2005, 12:33 AM']"Amata means Beloved" by Sr. Mary Catherine, OP.  A short novel written by a cloistered nun that really accurately describles cloistered life and one woman's experiences from postulancy to novitiate to solemn vows.  I recommend it!
[right][snapback]750257[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I love that book!!! the Dominican Nuns are in central NJ which is where I'm from so I love to visit the monastery and pray in their chapel (the part that's open to the public)... those sisters are so full of joy!

• 3 weeks later...
romeorcanterbury

Everyone absolutely must go read Rumer Godden's In This House of Brede, there is an awesome edition by Loyola Classics. It's a saga about Benedictines in England and is based on the nuns at Stanbrook Abbey. Amazing, amazing book. The movie totally messes up the plot and message which is about forgiveness, surrender, and all the messy womderful things that make us human. It's also interesting because it's about Catholics in England and their struggle to survive during the reforming years.
Amanda.

AlterDominicus

Ah, "Lillies of the Field" about a black man who helps a German group refuge of Nuns build a Church, its rather funny! Particularly Mother Marie Marthe in the book.

• 8 years later...
Ancilla Domini

I'm going to resurrect this post so long dormant, because I'm interested in hearing all your opinions.

A Right to be Merry is one of my very favorite books! I've read it at least 6 times. :) I've never heard of Amata Means Beloved, so I'll have to look into that one.

Has anyone read Selfless, by Sister Immolata Reida, about a sister in Papua New Guinea? I saw it in my parish bookstore, and I've had my eye on it for a long time.

graciandelamadrededios

My all time favorite book is "My Beloved: The Story of a Carmelite Nun" by Mother Catherine Thomas of Divine Providence.