An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dairy's Polls

Socrates

Dairygirl's polls are:  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Snarf' date='Oct 6 2005, 11:55 PM']Maybe I should make more threads about materialism and determinism to stir the coals.  Has Dairy Queen done that yet?  It's pretty much the one area wherein I feel orthodoxy is inadequate.
[right][snapback]749205[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That'd be fun. I must say, I tend to think the limits of orthodoxy are quite comfortable in this regard. However, as the ultimate substratum of all reality is God, and God is not knowable in the same sense as created phenomenon, I can see where the inevitable wall of mystery which one approaches in pursuing certain questions could be a source of discouragement for some people. I consider it rather evidence of truth when a system leads necessarily to the "cloud of unknowing".

photosynthesis

I refused to speculate.

I think that while socrates' poll made me laugh, it was the kind of laughing where you feel bad about it afterwards. it seems kind of mean to dedicate an entire thread to how much you don't like a certain member's posts. definitely not Catholic charity at its finest.

However, it is important to note that while the nature of internet message boards is instantaneous, it does not necessarily mean we have to abandon the elements of good writing. While on the internet I have a tendency to slack off on punctuation and capitalization, I still think it is important to write clearly.

Edited by photosynthesis

photosynthesis

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:37 AM']all i ask is that you don't ask why i ask most of the polls. i have agendas beyond what you might think i do. also don't assume i'm trying to debunk catholic morality by pointing out how people in the religion are inconsistent etc.

personally i think her polls are misunderstood.... much like an artist who is misunderstood...
[right][snapback]747972[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
oh, come on. if you ask us questions about what we believe and what we stand for, we should have the right to wonder about what your beliefs are. Also, it doesn't take a phatmass poll to point out that many people out there are calling themselves Catholics without having a clue about what the Church teaches. The same goes for all Christian denominations. Every group is going to have its die-hard faithful followers and its less orthodox people on the fringe.

the Catholic Faith is the faith of the Early Church--the apostles, the martyrs, the saints. It is the fullness of God's truth. Of course there are going to be people who stray away from the flock and make up their own religions. but the Catholic Faith will always be true regardless of whether or not people believe in it.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:37 PM']all i ask is that you don't ask why i ask most of the polls. i have agendas beyond what you might think i do. also don't assume i'm trying to debunk catholic morality by pointing out how people in the religion are inconsistent etc.

personally i think her polls are misunderstood.... much like an artist who is misunderstood...
[/quote]

that's right, you are probably misunderstood and attacked, but you could give reasons for your polls

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 9 2005, 01:34 PM']I refused to speculate.

I think that while socrates' poll made me laugh, it was the kind of laughing where you feel bad about it afterwards.  it seems kind of mean to dedicate an entire thread to how much you don't like a certain member's posts.  definitely not Catholic charity at its finest.

However, it is important to note that while the nature of internet message boards is instantaneous, it does not necessarily mean we have to abandon the elements of good writing.  While on the internet I have a tendency to slack off on punctuation and capitalization, I still think it is important to write clearly.
[right][snapback]751699[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Maybe I was uncharitable, maybe not. However, if you've been on here a long time (i've been here well over a year), you'll see these threads and polls are merely endless repetitions, arguing for abortion, against Catholic morality etc. If polls do not give the desired results, another poll is made on the same subject with somewhat different wording.
When we do not capitulate in a debate, we are told we'll have to "agree to disagree," then yet another poll or thread appears arguing the same "pro-choice" positions.
Endless repetition.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 9 2005, 10:29 PM']Maybe I was uncharitable, maybe not.  However, if you've been on here a long time (i've been here well over a year), you'll see these threads and polls are merely endless repetitions, arguing for abortion, against Catholic morality etc.  If polls do not give the desired results, another poll is made on the same subject with somewhat different wording.
When we do not capitulate in a debate, we are told we'll have to "agree to disagree," then yet another poll or thread appears arguing the same "pro-choice" positions.
Endless repetition.
[right][snapback]751961[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah, it is frustrating when people aren't open about their agendas, or come off as having one agenda when really they're pushing another. maybe pointing this out can further some more honest dialogue. or maybe I'm just way too optimistic for my own good :) I do think you should dress up as LittleLes for Halloween, though. you can cut out a huge smiley out of cardboard, maybe one like this:
;)

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:37 PM']all i ask is that you don't ask why i ask most of the polls. i have agendas beyond what you might think i do. also don't assume i'm trying to debunk catholic morality by pointing out how people in the religion are inconsistent etc.

[/quote]

[quote name='T-Bone' date='Oct 6 2005, 04:32 AM']So you have a hidden agenda?  Why?  An honest person doesn't need a hidden agenda.
[right][snapback]748069[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just what [i]is[/i] your agenda?

• 4 years later...
dairygirl4u2c

i find the personal attacks amusing

[quote name='crusader1234' date='07 October 2005 - 01:30 AM' timestamp='1128663027' post='749255']
I think her polls would be more interesting if she took the time to word them in a manner which would provoke debate on the topic as opposed to the wording.
[/quote]

he hit the nail on the head, as per valid criticism of my polls

other than that, of course no one's gonna like my polls given im not catholic, and oppose many of their ideas

plus, polls are just controversial in general, even good ones. had a great one, mediocre minds would find 'flaws' in it
other people's polls are usually just as bad, they're just not catholic (and maybe not as sloppy, often

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='24 April 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1272128281' post='2099229']
i find the personal attacks amusing

he hit the nail on the head, as per valid criticism of my polls

other than that, of course no one's gonna like my polls given im not catholic, and oppose many of their ideas

plus, polls are just controversial in general, even good ones. had a great one, mediocre minds would find 'flaws' in it
other people's polls are usually just as bad, they're just not catholic (and maybe not as sloppy, often
[/quote]
You're responding to points that were made five years ago. Is that not an exercise in futility?

dairygirl4u2c

somebody else found it necessary to rehash the thread, i was just contributing to that. it is about me afterall, my input would seem warranted.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Socrates' date='09 October 2005 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1128907764' post='751961']
Maybe I was uncharitable, maybe not. However, if you've been on here a long time (i've been here well over a year), you'll see these threads and polls are merely endless repetitions, arguing for abortion, against Catholic morality etc. If polls do not give the desired results, another poll is made on the same subject with somewhat different wording.
Endless repetition.
[/quote]

this thread was prob started, cause soc was probably just upset, that ive always called him a cookie cutter conservative, lacking originality, except as far as it takes to defend 'cookie cutter conservatism'. and it's the most accurate label of his beliefs i know of, he's a 'dictionary definition', look it up and see his picture there, sort of thing. it strikes him at his core.

dairygirl4u2c

also realize i do/did polls just for amusement
sometimes just out of curiosity
sometimes to really probe catholic beliefs

and back then, and the further one goes back, lookin at my posts, the more you see a character who was trying to figure stuff out. im still like that, but now im much much more solid in my positions,and ability to argue etc