An Old School Catholic Message Board

saving lives in a burning building

dairygirl4u2c

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in a burning building with ten test tube babies, two sure to grow to at least six years, and a little six year old girl, and you could only save the girl or the tubes, which would you save?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Oct 5 2005, 01:14 PM']ty, ty very much
[right][snapback]746961[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Could you come up with questions that are a little less odd. I refuse to speculate.

RemnantRules

This makes absolute no sense. Why couldn't I be able to save all of them? Why just 2 of the 10 babies can live to the age of 6? Why of just the two can live to the age of 6. Why couldn't the 6 year old now help carry some of the other test tube babies? why couldn't the 6 year old now save herself? Way to many questions and holes in your story. I have plenty more questions if you like to hear them....BUT if you want to know my answer, you don't know me all that well b/c I would've attempted to save ALL of them, even if it meant my life.

Ralph McInerny speaks of these moral-dilemma scenarios and characterizes them as absolutely ridiculous. The premise of ethics -- which is an applied science of Philosophical basis -- is based upon application, which is, in turn, reliant upon practicality. The scenario given is so farfecthed, that the likelihood of such a struggle is completely rare, that there is no value in discussing, or considering it in moral decision-making.....

I think more applicable scenarios, real-world situations would better serve the philosophical exercise of moral judgement.

lol...

there's no certainty that an embryo is going to grow up unless it is already in the mother and already growing. therefore, I'm going to see the same testtubes I saw in the other thread, and I'm going to think

"it is unlikely that these embryos will ever be implanted and by the mystical power of dairygirl I am unable to save both them and the girl, I will baptize the embryos and save the girl"

now... if dairygirl's mystical power allowed me to see into the future and know that the two embryos will one day become children AND she was such a powerful magician that she could still prevent me from saving both the test-tube babies and the girl, then I'd probably throw dairygirl into the fire for being a witch.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 5 2005, 01:57 PM']I'd probably throw dairygirl into the fire for being a witch.
[/quote]
It is true. She turned me into a newt. . . . .

:froggy:

I got better.

:disguise:

• 10 months later...

[quote] "it is unlikely that these embryos will ever be implanted and by the mystical power of dairygirl I am unable to save both them and the girl, I will baptize the embryos and save the girl" [/quote]

how can you baptise them if they're in a tube?

[quote name='Benedict' post='747465' date='Oct 5 2005, 04:04 PM']
It is true. She turned me into a newt. . . . .

:froggy:

I got better.

:disguise:
[/quote]

Now, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of.......wood?

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1043129' date='Aug 13 2006, 11:07 PM']
how can you baptise them if they're in a tube?
[/quote]
throw some water on them and say "I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" I suppose...

• 4 months later...
xTrishaxLynnx

I chose "refuse to speculate" because the poll itself doesn't make sense as it is right now.

Chances are that [i][b]if [/b] [/i] you could only save one or the other (the test tube babies or the girl) that the reason would be that the flames/smoke were just too much and blocking your path to one of them.

dairygirl... can you please explain what [b]you[/b] had in mind for the reason that we can only save one or the other? Then maybe I can give you an answer. :idontknow:

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1155873' date='Jan 4 2007, 06:33 AM']
But if the test tube is filled with water already, could not one just shake them up a bit? :lol_roll:
[/quote]

:lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

wow that just made my day! Thanks Groo...